Baxi Main boiler having problems igniting

The main 24he will show a flame failure if the pump switch does not lift on demand that is why i advised opening the aav on the pump to dispell any air...

Sponsored Links
I have an engineer booked for Tuesday, but I thought I'd keep exploring the possibilities.

I turned off the gas supply valve immediately underneath the boiler (without turning off the electrics). Turned on a hot tap and the boiler has ignited. So far, the boiler has held up for an hour. I'm still gong to have the machine professionally serviced, but I wondered if anyone can explain why turning the valve off and on might have this effect.

Sponsored Links
Your boiler has an intermittant fault, it works when it feels like it, you fiddling with the gas valve/pump/electrics doesnt make any difference, leave it alone and have it serviced like you said.

Oh I see what you mean. You're absolutely right. I think my my desire for hot water is getting the better of me. At least it's not the middle of winter when the cold water would be freezing. I'll wait for the engineer to arrive.

You can link out 2 wires on the PCB to prove a Pressure Switch fault - especially when it appears to operating correctly on the boiler. I cannot tell you how to do this. I left this topic alone hoping you would come back with a repaired boiler :rolleyes:

P46

three lights on front. combination of which will give you fault code. look for these in your user's instructions.

oops bit late i see as you had eng booked for tuesday and its now thurs'! :oops:

Thanks for all your comments. British Gas carried out an inspection but failed the boiler because it had not been installed properly on the plumbing side. They refused to fix the machine until I got the installer back.

The machine was only installed about 18 months ago. I tried ringing the engineer but he had changed his number. I rang Baxi who said that if BG failed the machine, then they too would not send out one of their engineers and that I would have to get the installer. Finally, I rang GasSafety who wil come round in a few days time to carry out their own inspection. They were able to find the installer and have invited him back but say they cannot force him.

By the way, the combination of light displays on my boiler appears to match illustration A on the operating manual. The burner light is off and the flame failure light is fast flashing 2 every second. According to the manual this is due to a flue blockage or an internal fault.

The boiler hardly ever ignites now.

I'm afraid it's cold showers for the time being.

I had same problem with a customers boiler, never failed infront of me until my last visit! I am putting a new aps in tomorrow, it completely failed in the end. Shame about your installation problems, good luck with that

When I spoke to Baxi on the phone yesterday, they said that moisture can get into the machine and damage the APS. They said this is an inherent design fault with older machines regardless of the fact that my machine was recently installed. They said that newer models come with the aps upside down to avoid water collection.

How does the moister get in? I climbed up on the roof to inspect the vertical flue and noticed that it does not have a cap. With rain fall and moister in the air, can this be the way in which the water penetrates the machine?

With the weather turning cold, I'm getting fed up with having genuinely cold showers whilst I'm waiting for GasSafety to carry out an inspection on my machine next week. Even then, they are not going to fix the machine particularly if the installer fails to turn up.

I popped down to my local plumber yesterday and picked up the relevant APS for my boiler. Having looked inside the machine (with electrics turned off), I am unable to locate the position of the APS. Is there a manual and a website I can download to guide me?

When I spoke to Baxi on the phone yesterday, they said that moisture can get into the machine and damage the APS. They said this is an inherent design fault with older machines regardless of the fact that my machine was recently installed.

Thats rubbish. Its a design fault on the boiler.

P46.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back