Baxi Solo 2 RS 60 Tripping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have recently started having issues with my boiler tripping out.

I recently had a new radiator fitted in the lounge and in the en suite.
During installation the system was drained, all radiators, pump, etc have been bled.
The system worked fine for 2 months on hot water only & I previously had no issues like this.
Since switching on the central heating I have had issues with the boiler tripping.
I've also noticed that the radiator in the lounge has started leaking around the valve controlling the heat setting.

I have now reached the point that every time the system calls for heat the boiler will fire for 2 minutes and then trip and I have no water or heating.

I can relight the boiler without issue after resetting the overheat stat.

The pump appears to be running, the 3 port valve is open correctly. Boiler has had new gas valve and thermocouple 6 months ago.
I have tried running the pump on the different pressure settings 1,2 or 3 but to no avail.

What I have noticed is that if I stand near the boiler when either water or heating is switched on I cannot hear the pump pulling the water through although in the airing cupboard pump appears to be running. After two mins the water can be heard bubbling and hence the stat trips and switches off the boiler and pilot light.

I am assuming that it is most likely the pump which needs replacing. The pump is a Circulating Pumps CP 53 about 10 years old. Picture below.

Before calling the heating engineer who also needs to fix the now leaking radiator, I wanted to know if there is anything else I can check. I just find it odd that it was all working well until I had the new radiators fitted.

Many thanks,
Ali.

image.jpg

Sponsored Links
Your symptoms do indicate a pump/circulation problem. 10 yrs for a cp 53 is pretty good. Have you unscrewed the black knob, pulled it forward and engaged the rotor to see if the pump is actually turning? They had a tendency to slow down considerably. Do that and then start the system and see if the pump is actually turning. Listening is not a positive way of checking a pump. There may be other reasons for your fault, but I'd be starting at the pump. Good luck.

Thank you 45yearsagasman sincerely appreciate your reply.

I have checked and the pump appears to be working and moving, however the boiler still trips.
Perhaps because the system had to be drained to fit a new radiator there is some air or sludge blocking somewhere that only became apparent after the heating was switched on?
The system has been treated with inhibitor and fernox cleaner 18 months ago when all the radiators were replaced.

I will call the central heating engineer and explain the details behind what happened before my boiler decided it didn't want to work any more :cry:

Many thanks.
Ali.

Is their an air vent on the flow pipe, normally at high level alongside the cylinder?
Can you post a pic of the airing cupboard installetion?

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Yes there is an air vent next to the tank. I have opened this and it does not appear blocked as the water is flowing. Is this the one you are referring to?

image.jpg

image.jpg

Many thanks.

Problem resolved today by engineer in 30 minutes.
The overheat stat had gone so new one now fitted and I have a nice warm house :)
Pump is ok however will be replacing it with a Grundfos so that it is more efficient.

Many thanks.
Ali.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back