Baxi Wentworth gas fire poor heat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello again group.
I have a question regarding a Baxi Wentworth classic gas fire, its quite old, I believe 8-10 years. The fire doesn't give out much heat, certainly not enough to heat my living room which is approx 20x15 x 10 feet high. The fire was left in by the previous tenant and when I went to purchase a new fire from my local showroom the salesman told me that the Wentworth should never have been fitted to my old fireplace, and that it had been modified to fit (side flanges cut down) he also told me that it would be very difficult to get a replacement gas fire to fit as it was under the standard opening width, I measured the outer flanges on the fire and it was 420mm. When I questioned him regarding the poor heat he told me that a flue baffle should be fitted to restrict the draw from the chimney, is this correct? The property is three story's high and there is a lot of draw on the fire, when I looked up the flue I can see 4 circular panels have been knocked out of the fire top, should only a couple have been knocked out to restrict the air flow?
Regards
Otto

Sponsored Links
The flue spigot restrictor is generally on the rear of the fire. Those holes on the front won't have been knocked out. The restrictor is normally a thin plate that partially blocks the flue spigot.

I've not fitted any fires for years so can't comment on the required dimensions.

Thanks for the reply Mike, the picture is a little confusing, but the holes are on the top rear of the fire, and the flames are drawn directly to them.
Regards
Otto

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back