Bayonet fittings: On their way to obsolence?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. Tempted by the offer (£2 a piece at ASDA) I bought 6 batten lamp holders by British General. Well made. But, have I been sensible? I mean, will bayonet fitting lamps still be able to be bought in the future, or are they on their way out to Edison Screw? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I think it's because the market for European-sized ES lamps (American ones are slightly different) is bigger than the market for BC, so more are made, in a wider variety, to gain the bigger market, and are imported here when there is a price advantage.

The UK market is still big enough for lamp manufacturers to make a decent living out of us, though, especially as the European market becomes saturated.

You may remember the pre-EU days when car manufacturers were allowed to charge UK consumers higher prices, and restricted availability of RHD vehicles in other countries, as a ploy to maximise their profits at the consumer's expense.

Luckily, UK has decided to give up such protections.

I have found bayonet fittings are used more and more as we move from 12 volt to 230 volt spot lights, GU10 has become more popular and G5.3 seems to be going, as to BA22d and E27 there is a second consideration, safety, I know the BA22d is available with shutters, not seen any E27 with shutters, and you can earth the shell of a BA22d bulb.

I have noted BA22d bulbs are not marked as class II and I have wondered if they need marking, E27 could not possibly be class I so it is clear they must be class II, but BA22d could with single filament be class II.

I have seen BA15d as twin filament, but not BA22d, however that does not mean not made.

It seemed odd where I worked the 230 volt were always 230 volt and the E27 always 110 volt, seemed wrong way around, as with 230 volt shell is neutral so no shock if touched, but with 110 shell is 55 or 64 volt to earth. But our electricial engineer banned use of E27 with 230 volt so wrong bulb could not be fitted.

I though I had no standard E27 lamps, only the SON lamps were E27, but it seems wife bought a standard lamp from IKEA, on fitting a SON bulb I am told big bang, it was in garage together with some 24 volt E27 for hand lamps, suspect they would also go bang.

I no there is no national rule, but having specials as E27 and standard as BA22d does seem a safe way.

Sponsored Links
Hi. Tempted by the offer (£2 a piece at ASDA) I bought 6 batten lamp holders by British General. Well made. But, have I been sensible? I mean, will bayonet fitting lamps still be able to be bought in the future, or are they on their way out to Edison Screw? Thanks.
Why would you want 6, there normally only £2.39 in screwfix anyway, pendants are more usefull and there only £1.19

I have noted BA22d bulbs are not marked as class II and I have wondered if they need marking, ...
You seem to be assuming that everything has to be either Class I or Class II but, as I frequently say/ask, there must surely bbe many electrical items that are not either. Something without exposed-c-ps cannot possibly be Class I, yet may not have "double or reinforced insulation", either, so what are they - 'not allowed', perhaps??

If BA22d bulbs were Class I, that would put an enormous cat amongst the pigeons, since few lampholders have the ability to provide an 'earth' connection,, and pendant lampholders are even exempt from the requirement to have a CPC run to them.

What point are you trying to make?

Kind Regards, John

Given the volume of ES bulbs available nowadays, I'm still surprised I can't just buy ED pendants ... finding lampshades in the UK that would fit them is another discussion though.

Given the volume of ES bulbs available nowadays, I'm still surprised I can't just buy ED pendants ... finding lampshades in the UK that would fit them is another discussion though.
I'm not sure if this is what you are suggesting, but one problem with ES ('pendant') lampholders is that something has to be done to prevent the cover of the holder being unscrewed (potentially exposing live parts) when one unscrews a bulb - an issue which doesn't arise with the few degrees of rotation required to remove a bayonet bulb. That is probably why they are pretty rare.

Kind Regards, John

You seem to be assuming that everything has to be either Class I or Class II but, as I frequently say/ask, there must surely bbe many electrical items that are not either. Something without exposed-c-ps cannot possibly be Class I, yet may not have "double or reinforced insulation", either, so what are they - 'not allowed', perhaps??

If BA22d bulbs were Class I, that would put an enormous cat amongst the pigeons, since few lampholders have the ability to provide an 'earth' connection,, and pendant lampholders are even exempt from the requirement to have a CPC run to them.
Lighting in general seems to get a pass on normal electrical safety standards.

Lighting in general seems to get a pass on normal electrical safety standards.
To some extent that's true, and I suppose that is somewhat understandable, given that lights are generally 'on the ceiling', and hence not usually touchable.

Having said that, I imagine that what I recently wrote is at least one of the reasons why ES lampholders are conspicuous by their rarity.

Kind Regards, John

Afaict the main problem with ES pendant lampholders is they are too big to fit normal british lampshades.

Part of that may be down to the lampholder needing to be bulkier but I think most of of it is also down to the fact that afaict a standard ES cap is bigger than a standard BC cap (B22 vs E27).

Afaict the main problem with ES pendant lampholders is they are too big to fit normal british lampshades. Part of that may be down to the lampholder needing to be bulkier but I think most of of it is also down to the fact that afaict a standard ES cap is bigger than a standard BC cap (B22 vs E27).
Yes, that could also be part of the explanation.

However, if ES had come (or comes in the future) into widespread use in the UK, I'm sure that corresponding lampshades would have appeared to service what would then probably have been a very large potential market. After all, it's only a question of the size of a little metal ring.

Kind Regards, John

I've noticed that more and more lampshades now come with a larger ring and a plastic insert that reduces the hole to fit a standard B22 lampholder. Remove the plastic bit, it fits a larger lampholder.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back