Will BC lamps disappear?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently been told that bayonet lamp fittings are to be phased out over the next few years 'because they are less safe than ES fittings' according to the guy who told me.

he said it's because you could touch both contacts at once in a bayonet fitting.

When I pointed out the same applied to ES fittings, plus there was the chance of the whole lamp cap becoming live if the connections were reversed, he was still adamant that ES fittings would be the only fittings available in the future.

I can see manufacturers preferring ES for the lower component count in the fitting, but I would think there is probably little to choose between them safety-wise.

He was adamant that nobody will be able to buy a BC or SBC lamp by 2012. :confused:

I remember hearing that GLS and TH lamps may soon become a curiosity because of their relative inefficiency, and that new lamp holders may be designed specifically not to accept tungsten filament lamps, but nothing about scrapping bayonet fittings in preference for ES.

The guy who told me is NEVER wrong (I know that, because he told me that as well), but I wouldn't trust him to service a wheelbarrow :rolleyes:

Anyone else heard of this?

Sponsored Links
I was informed by a legal expert, who is never wrong, that Pizza Hut have to change their name (to Pasta Hut) a a result of recent European legislation which prevents using the name of a food outlet to promote junk food.

I think it's just as likely. :LOL:

df06_08-06_tripe.jpg

probably.

I was informed by a legal expert, who is never wrong, that Pizza Hut have to change their name (to Pasta Hut) a a result of recent European legislation which prevents using the name of a food outlet to promote junk food.
See if you can get him to confirm that KFC had to rename themselves that because it isn't actually chicken.... :cool:

Anyway - thanks for the post Tickly - it's reminded me that I really ought to stock up on GLS lamps, as they really are being phased out...

Sponsored Links
Yes, BC caps are being phased out at present - just try buying a decorative light fitting with a BC cap nowadays - they are no longer made. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

That's the luminaires - the actual lamps aren't being "phased out", but they may die a natural economic death if demand for them falls because they aren't needed.

In reality I find that most retail outlets still favour BC GLS lamps over ES, in terms of both the range available and bulk quantity packaging.

And is it just me, or are those new (ish) GE mini-GLS lamps total sh*te?

The 5-minute lifespan and buzz when dimmed model?

I figured they're a conspiracy to make us all switch to CFL's.

as for "phasing out" of BC caps, BC caps were introduced as the replacement to E caps, only with so many fittings made in china etc destined for the whole world ES is fitted for convenience- bit like the BS 13a plugtop that there's always talk of being phased out for backward euro-harmonisation, you can design a better product but you can't make people use it.

There are so many of them in use today that I can hardly forsee them being phased out as soon as 2012!

It would take a lot longer than that I'm sure, demand is still there for the lamps to go on them so supply will remain, and as they can be supplied they will also make the fittings to go with them too.

NO, it's not just you, they are ****e!

50% or more of them will not work when you screw them in unless you waggle them about!

I always recommend Osram now!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back