More free bloody light bulbs

It all seems a bit pointless, and all too easy for the government to pick on households and brow beat us into 'green, energy saving' schemes.
What about all these 24 hour hypermarkets with thousands of lights on 24 hours?
Town centre shops also leave lights on all night even after they have closed. The TV shops have about 2 dozen tellys switched on until midnight and no one says owt about this commercial wastage of electricity.

Sponsored Links
It all seems a bit pointless, and all too easy for the government to pick on households and brow beat us into 'green, energy saving' schemes.
What about all these 24 hour hypermarkets with thousands of lights on 24 hours?
Town centre shops also leave lights on all night even after they have closed. The TV shops have about 2 dozen tellys switched on until midnight and no one says owt about this commercial wastage of electricity.

i can't believe there's so many people with a problem with low energy lightbulbs! why talk about shops leaving tellys on at night. just don't buy a telly off them.
why not just replace your light bulbs with low energy ones when they blow. i've never paid much over a quid for one and haven't had to change one yet (oldest ones are maybe 5 years old). they do save you electricity. that's what everyone i know has done anyway.
imagine what would happen if the government really was trying to change our lifestyle!

lifes too short to not waste electricity? :confused:

but you are wasting electricity if you don't use the most energy efficient appliances, including light bulbs.

er yes, that was my point, i use them and i try not to waste leccy :confused:

also fact - bulbs do get left on when they're not needed. it just happens for a variety of reasons.

not here they don't.

Sponsored Links
the i'm sitting under seems to do the job ok?

bet it takes ages to get bright... ish...

sure e-on is offering 2 free if anyone needs some more :eek:

doesn't take that long to warm up, and it's as bright as a 60w bulb after a minute maximum. uses a sixth of the electric so if i leave it on twice as long it's still way cheaper and don't have to run round the house switching off lights all the time.

what do you have to do to get the free bulbs? i'm not an eon customer.

why not just replace your light bulbs with low energy ones when they blow.

Because they're s**t

the one i'm sitting under seems to do the job ok?

I guess you don't have a dimmer switch in your house then?

i have got a couple but don't use them to dim the lights. i tend to have table lamps on when i'm relaxing.

you can get dimmable low energy bulbs now though, although i haven't tried / tested them.

the cheap low energy bulbs are so much better now than even 3 years ago - have you tried them recently? they do warm up a lot quicker.

you can get dimmable low energy bulbs now though

Have you seen the price of these?

the cheap low energy bulbs are so much better now than even 3 years ago - have you tried them recently? they do warm up a lot quicker.

I tried one for a week, but got fed up of falling down the stairs in the dark, so there is a lovely shiny new bright GLS lamp back in there now.

Some are much better than others. I have some 20w GE spirals which give full brightness straight away and the colour is good too.

I tried one for a week, but got fed up of falling down the stairs in the dark
Rob, you're a riot :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Anyhow, I went out and bought an energy saving desk lamp from Argos today. The black one. It takes an 11 watt PL lamp, it came with a 6400K (daylight) one, clearly intended for desk / graphic work.

It comes to full brightness straight away (after flickering start - it has a magnetic ballast). So come on everyone, get fitting PL fittings! They are great :D

I don't have a problem with low energy fittings: we have them (in one form or another) everywhere except the coach lantern outside (the PIR is not LE rated), the 2 younger kids rooms (on std dimmers), and the lounge table lamps (also on std dimmer). That's 7 lamps in total (420W) that are standard GLS. There's a 200W floodlight out the back but we so rarely use it, we've never changed the lamp that was installed when we moved in in 1999... ;) Everywhere else has either 20W CFL's or flu tubes.

Suffice to say a mix of CFL's & GLS lamps works well for us & we save a fortune!

Sponsored Links
Back