Beam and block hangars?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a solid wall 230mm mid-terraced house.

I'm going to replace an old timber floor over the cellar with beam and block.

despite looking extensively online I cannot find a guide for fitting concrete lintels. If anyone knows a useful book or online resource it would be much appreciated.

I understand timber joists can be hung using joist hangers, but I'm concerned the additional weight of a concrete floor with screed overlay will be too much weight. Should I be cutting into the brickwork and securing the lintels into the solid wall?

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply.

The floor has been condemned. In the past the floor was poorly ventilated and there are signs of extensive damage from a no longer active wood worm.

The decision has been made regarding beam and block. My question is purely seeking advice regarding the installation of the joist at the wall.

Cheers

I guess you should ask the person who made such a strange decision how he hopes to deliver.

Sponsored Links
Turns out signing up to this forum appears to be a waste of my time. If your comment is unhelpful and betrays a disdaine for my choice of flooring then please keep it to yourself and move on and leave the room for people who wish to offer helpful advice based on experience.

Thank you.

Hi Noseall,

Poor use of terminology. Joists. Concrete 150mm ones to be precise.
Id like to install a beam and block floor with a screed finish and UFH.

Thank you.

The beams typically sit upon 100mm of structural masonry.

Your problem in this instance would be to have enough travel on the beams in order to let them into BOTH sides, i.e. you would need double the travel on one side.

The other solution would be to dig a foundation and build a new wall within the existing. My guess is a new timber floor is going to be the most sensible solution.

Turns out signing up to this forum appears to be a waste of my time.
Terribly sorry. Is your time very precious? We give up ours for free.

Thank you for your helpful advice Noseall. I'll have a look and weigh up what you're suggesting.

Regards my comment, it was a direct response to a totally unhelpful comment from another user.

Thanks again for the reply.

And another. No idea what it is about forums bringing out strange and abusive behaviour from people.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back