Beautiful, but high maintenance..

The Boeing "anti stall" software was unbelievable, the Pilot should always have the final say in what the plane does.

I've written engine control software for my own cars and obviously Aircraft is in a different league but that anti stall code with no override possibility killed a lot of people.

Sponsored Links
No the Panigale's have a wet clutch iirc, the have also done away with the cambelts and gone for chains (only took them 30 years to catch up with the Japanese..).
The Panigale was the most disappointing bike I ever rode

Just before one of our European motorcycle trips, my mate bought a brand new Multistrada. He needed to clock some miles up quickly so that he could have his first service carried out before we went so he went for a long weekend away on it with his partner. They pulled up at a posh hotel, he put his foot down, slipped on a bit of gravel and dropped it. They both had helmets on with music playing so he didn’t hear it was still running and in first gear. As he picked it up it took off and he dropped it again on the other side and it started doing circles in the gravel with him (according to his partner) running round it like Benny Hill trying to hit the kill button. Anyway, he did a lot of panel damage and snapped one of the mirror arms off. If I remember it was also the indicator and the support for either the clutch or brake reservoir. His Ducati dealer couldn’t get the part before we left on the trip so we had to lash it up with cable ties and gaffer tape. Our wives and partners always used to meet up with us halfway through our trips so his partner had to collect the mirror arm and bring it out in her hand luggage and we fitted it on in lake Garda. He had numerous troubles with it on the trip and we noticed it had steel washers wedged down the side of the headlamp surround. Long story short, he took it back when we got home, the workshop stripped it and it turned out that the frame had been damaged in production but they still built the bike around it and used the washers to bodge it! They offered to re-frame it under warranty but he demanded and got a new bike. He still has it and uses it once a year if he's feeling brave!

I had a BMW Boxer cup 1200s barely two weeks old when the engine blew up.

Sponsored Links
I've replaced a lot of fuel pumps in BMW's but apart from that the seem reasonably stout.

'cos the owners never ride them. :LOL: To be fair, I couldn't find v1 Panigale, with much more than 1000 miles a year on. Bit sad really and puts the owners in the highest risk rider category as these are very much skills you need to keep fresh.

Last edited:
'cos the owners never ride them. :LOL: To be fair, I couldn't find v1 Panigale, with much more than 1000 miles a year on. Bit sad really and puts the owners in the highest risk rider category as these are very much skills you need to keep fresh.

I look after an older chaps Yamaha FZ6, that's just clocked 90,000 miles!. He does oil changes religiously every 4,000 miles and leaves rest to me.

Very rarely see a bike with more than 40,000 miles on.

Quite common to see people selling bikes at 15,000 (when major / valve service is due at 16,000!).

I ran a bike safe course (plod attempt at giving people some advance riding tips) and had 2 people paired with me. One was a new DASer on a Fazer and the other as "seasoned" track day enthusiast with a ZX10R with custom suspension. I put the fazer guy out in front, thinking he'd be slower.. Guy on the ZX10 couldn't keep up with the guy on the Fazer and I had to swap them round.

I used to do a few trackdays with Golf GTI club.

There were a couple of lads with Mk2 Golfs, 2litre engine conversions but nothing really fancy.

They could bloody drive though!, put many a supercar to shame around Donnington Park!.

To be fair, if you can afford a Panigale . . . There's probably a few other bikes in the stable that DO get thrashed !

Dork's stable hovers around 30x bikes & currently counts 36.

Come 'round my house & take the P 'cos my GSXR1100 L has only 1850mls, or laff at my Kat,' that is still in its shipping crate, I fookin dare you :)

I used to do a few trackdays with Golf GTI club.

There were a couple of lads with Mk2 Golfs, 2litre engine conversions but nothing really fancy.

They could bloody drive though!, put many a supercar to shame around Donnington Park!.

The absolutely BEST natural driver that I ever had the experience of riding shotgun with, traded in his Mini Cooper for a Mk2 Golf when the Cooper's value soared to be worth more than his (then) house. I pulled a few strings & spoke in a few ears & he ended up working for Graypaul as one of there accompanied 'test' drivers.

He works for a £billionaire now out in LA, looking after a car collection that numbers north of 200 & is worth more £money than most countries GDP. He's 'living the dream' yet he still see's it as just a job?

Sponsored Links
Back