Becoming a damp proofer!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just wondering if you need any formal qualifications to become a damp proofer, I realise that some ability to plaster is required but anything else?

Anyone know of a training course I could go on? preferably near leeds

Andy

Sponsored Links
Hi Andy,

There is no official requirement to be qualified as a damp proofer but if you work for a PCA certified company then chances are you'll be expected to have some qualifications. Look at The Property Care Associations (Formerly the BWPDA) website for details on the courses they run.

Basically just injecting dryzone, chipping off plaster and rendering and replastering, maybe also timber treatments?

Just interested to know if you need any formal qualifications

Andy

Sponsored Links
You took the words right out of my keyboard noseall. :LOL: It is a con, and an expensive one, you even get a guarantee with it, Huh, and the mess some of them make of the plastering afterwards, they'd be better leaving it alone.

Roughcaster.

Expensive......... means potential gold mine!!!

Just wondering thats all, Ive just done my own, and thought why couldnt i do anyone elses?

If you only want to treat damp that has already been positively identified as rising damp then becoming a damp-proofer is incredibly easy. As you say, you just inject Dryzone and replaster. Dryzone works exceptionally well at what it is designed for (treating rising damp), however it won't work against other forms of dampness such as condensation or rain penetration.

So - if you want to become a decent damp-proofer (as opposed to the type that has bought the business into disrepute) you need to learn about identifying the different types of dampness that can affect buildings and the ways that these can be treated and prevented. In practice this takes years of experience, but there are courses available that offer a good grounding.

As Joe Malone mentioned, the PCA run some good courses. Some of these are run by an independent consultant called Graham Coleman who has a very informative website - http://www.buildingpreservation.com/ . The articles on the website cover much of the same ground as his courses.

How do you get insurance backed guarentees? Im guessing that basically you pay for them and pass the cost onto the customer, £255 for two day course and you know enough about damp proofing seems a bargain!!

I appreciate that alot of people refuse to believe that the problem exists and I would be looking to offer alternatives where possible to solely the injection method

The only people who say it doesn't exist are those that have never lived in a damp house. Believe me, in the Trent valley with Victorian brick it exists.

How do you get insurance backed guarentees?

There is a lot of confusion regarding "insurance-backed" guarantees. As far as I can make out the only legit ones are from a company called Guarantee Protection Insurance and you can only get them if you are a member of the PCA. You can only join the PCA if you have passed their CSRT exam.

So I would say you probably need to do the following:

1) Go on a course
2) Swot up
3) Take and pass CSRT exam
4) Join PCA

There are a number of damp-proofing product manufacturers that offer "insurance backed" guarantees but these are not regarded as highly as the Guarantee Protection ones. This is because they have not usually been honoured when product manufacturers have gone bust (which has happened on several occasions). For this reason many local authorities, housing associations, mortgage companies etc... only accept the Guarantee Protection ones.

it would be foolish to dismiss the presence of problematic damp within early masonry buildings, particularly those built pre-cavity, pre-dpc or pre-dpm.

there are scientific reasons to suggest that being sceptical about the presence of rising damp, is fully justified.

new buildings are subjected to exactly the same adverse moisture bearing conditions as earlier ones. our methods of dealing with the unwanted moisture ingress has modernized and alleviated such problems.

for those people living in old buildings or wishing to buy an old property be on your guard. there are many trigger happy lenders who are only too happy to reach for the silicone fluid as soon as the word damp is mentioned.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back