Becoming a plumber

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

First post so go easy on me.

I'm in a job and id like a career change - youve all probably heard this all before but i havnt heard the answers so hang with me.

I flirted with the idea of plumber training a couple of years ago but never followed it up as i thought it was just a 5 minute thing. a couple of years down the line i still feel 'up for the challenge'

Im not a total novice when it comes to plumbing - ive helped various people out here and there with the odd bathroom, im not bad on pipe work, soldering, bonding, tiling etc. replaced a few sinks and i know my way around a tool box and the whole 'trade environment'

I'm 25, and i do have the normal commitments (mortgage and household bills) and im looking into (with caution) these fast track plumbing courses and here comes my first question....opinions on such courses?

Ideally id like to be self employed however working for someone first is a must for me - if im going to do this im not running before i can walk - im guessing this is a good way to go about things?

and finally, what certificates does a 'fully qualified plumber' need? and what accredited schemes does one need to be a member of?

and a final comment - i understand that there are other constraints if i wish to work with gas - again, lets not run before i can walk.

Thanks for taking the time to read and reply!

Sponsored Links
Firstly welcome! :D

I will not be the only one to say this but those fast track courses are despised of here. If you want to do it, do it properly. To be a 'qualified' plumber the bare minimum I would say is a L3 NVQ. This will give you a good start however nowhere near 'qualified'. Being 'qualified' comes from on the job experience and you need a good few years of that. What are you currently doing? If you would like to earn over £25K then getting gas qualified is the way to go. A regular plumber who only dabbles in hot+cold and sanitation is very limited, if you can throw in tiling then you could take on bathroom jobs etc...

Thanks for that! some interesting info. Gas would be on the agenda eventually but it seems like it might be an idea to look into that at the same time as getting the skills as such.

Im working in communications at the moment due to the economy as an engineer - Network cables, LANS etc doing fault diagnosis/repair/maintain. My apprenticeship was in Alarm engineering. Then i moved into CCTV, AV, Electronics and a some basic electrical. I dont really want to go back into the above - im sick of it and ive considered plumbing for a while.

for an NVQ im presuming it works like any trade specific NVQ - you have to provide evidence towards a portfollio? and reading between the lines its an experience related thing? i appreciate nothing can beat experience but its getting an employer to give you that chance! so on that basis, what certificates would they be looking for?

Im also in the position where taking a training course on full time is not an option - as ive said, i have a mortgage to pay! my theory with a intensive course was to take a lump of holiday from work and do it then. I think this is going to pose a few issues :(

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Some colleges offer day release, I did a day at week at college, the other 4 as an apprentice to an experienced plumber. Whilst college teaches you the theory and practical skills required, I probably dont need to tell you there is no substitute for experience! The 'on the job' training taught me far more than is or could ever be taught in a classroom.

There is a vast difference from working in a controlled environment like a college workshop, where everything shuts off, its (mostly) visible, and there is an instructor on hand to help, to occupied properties, no visible stoptap, (or one that doesnt work....), mixtures of materials and sizes, the last persons bodge ups!, etc, etc.....

However, if you're determined, then best of luck.

Firstly, don't waste your money on some stupid course where the end result is a piece of worthless paper and less knowledge than a first year apprentice would have.

NVQ level 3 is the minimum qualification and that will not be reached on a 6 week or whatever course. If you are determined to do it go down the day release collage way.

Ideally id like to be self employed however working for someone first is a must for me

In the current economic climate you have as much chance of getting a start with someone as i have of winning the lottery (i don't do it). There are too many decent experienced site guys chasing any jobs. Your CV would be lucky to even get a second glance. As for getting someone to take you on just to gain experience, unless you would like to work for peanuts i'm afraid it's very unlikely to happen. Who wants to teach someone they know in a few months will be a direct competitor, not me.

Personally if i felt the need to take on some unexperienced help i could start an apprentice on £3.22/hr rising to £4.81 in his second year and £5.82 in his third and £7.52 in his fourth year. At the end of his time i would have a lad who could do the job well, had experience and was properly qualified. Whether he chose to work for himself at some point would be up to him but at least he would know what he was doing.
(BTW Adult apprentice rates are £5.88 1st yr - £6.79 2nd and £8.45 3rd yr)

Going self employed straight away you will quickly learn that your expensive course taught you FA, and the hype about the £XXX amount of money you can earn is garbage. Same applies as above, every guy with a white van is out there competing, some working for stupid money that would hardly cover the diesel. Check out your local paper small ads, full of hopefuls trying to earn a crust or scam someone.

i understand that there are other constraints if i wish to work with gas

More money outlay and more experience (you need to build up a portfolio).

My apprenticeship was in Alarm engineering. Then i moved into CCTV, AV, Electronics and a some basic electrical.

If you served your time at that why not go back to it. The money would be much the same? if you are/were good at it and at least you have some experience of that. The grass on the plumbing side is not as green as you think.

what accredited schemes does one need to be a member of?

At the moment unfortunately, none :eek:

Without the training course, you could buy yourself a van put an ad in the paper and away you go, with all the knowledge you have learned through

ive helped various people out here and there with the odd bathroom, im not bad on pipe work, soldering, bonding, tiling etc. replaced a few sinks and i know my way around a tool box and the whole 'trade environment

Bluffing your way through it and ripping people off.

In Scotland the plumbing federation are pushing for licensing to try and stop this. I don't think it will come in any time soon.

Thank god i'll never need to phone a plumber!

Sorry if i have been a bit brutal with this answer but i am being honest.

Have you heard the phrase " moving deckchairs on the Titanic" :?:

What you propose is like getting a dingy and catching up with the ship before it gets to the Arctic circle :rolleyes: :LOL: :LOL:

THE TRADE IS DEAD...Long live the RGI and gas safe + paperwork to fill a library.Stick with I.T M8

Well there you have it,personally,with the building trade as it is at the moment i would strongly advise you to stay put,i dont know what you are doing at the moment for work?
I would try and find a way of learning the plumbing trade as well as keeping your present job,get books to read up on,and maybe find a local gas registered guy that would take you with him at weekends,or when you have some holidays.Dont ask for/expect to get paid though.
For every Plumbing job advertised,there will be 100 in front of you at present.
Lastly DONT spend any money on fast track courses,even with the promise of job placement at the end,it doesnt happen,the certificates are worthless,and would be laughed out of any decent plumbers office.

Thanks for all the replies folks. I think the idea of reading up and doing some theory myself would be the best way to start. im not giving up the job for this. at the mo im in a safe job but its one i dont really want to be in - its more forward planning.

as i say, thanks for all the advice, its appreciated!!!! and if anyone can offer any more, feel free to put your 10pence worth in.

Cheers

You are only 25 but you are already bored with what you have done so far.

To be any good at puumbing you would need to be training and getting experience for at least five years. The chances are that you would be bored with it before then. If you want more excitement then perhaps you should join the army?

Most people want to go into plumbing because they think they cn earn a lot of money.

I had a trainee who genuinely thought a plumber earns £70k. He is gas registered and finds it hard to earn more than about £22k !

There are too many people doing it now, many seriously lacking in practical skills because they have only done quick courses.

Tony

Hi all,

First post so go easy on me.

I'm in a job and id like a career change - youve all probably heard this all before but i havnt heard the answers so hang with me.

I flirted with the idea of plumber training a couple of years ago but never followed it up as i thought it was just a 5 minute thing. a couple of years down the line i still feel 'up for the challenge'

Im not a total novice when it comes to plumbing - ive helped various people out here and there with the odd bathroom, im not bad on pipe work, soldering, bonding, tiling etc. replaced a few sinks and i know my way around a tool box and the whole 'trade environment'

I'm 25, and i do have the normal commitments (mortgage and household bills) and im looking into (with caution) these fast track plumbing courses and here comes my first question....opinions on such courses?

Ideally id like to be self employed however working for someone first is a must for me - if im going to do this im not running before i can walk - im guessing this is a good way to go about things?

and finally, what certificates does a 'fully qualified plumber' need? and what accredited schemes does one need to be a member of?

and a final comment - i understand that there are other constraints if i wish to work with gas - again, lets not run before i can walk.

Thanks for taking the time to read and reply!

Heres my Tuppenth worth for what its worth.

Bloody do it mate, but not the Fast Track route.
Alot of Colleges do night classes on both plumbing and Gas so look there.
Try to gain employ (non paid) at weekends or your Holidays with a Good local firm.
Read, Read and then Read somemore and not just your books, check every subject on here and learn all that is told, i have solved an awful lot of plumbing and heating issues due to far more knowlegeable than me on here. I still read nearly every post just incase i find out something i never knew before.

Take people like Agile with a pinch of Salt as he always sounds bitter but take in every piece of knowledge you can from engineers like him as he has forgot more and seen more changes in this industry than i will ever know or see.

And then just stick at it, For 8 years i was a site plumber/Gas engineer or as they call it on here sometimes a House Basher.
I worked in new build and only did installs but in the last year a local fim took me on retrained me and i am now a service and breakdown guy, i will not call myself an engineer yet as the breakdown part can have me in tears somedays but i love my job and was only 23 when i started so a career change can be done.

As for the self employed part i now know that i need at least another 5 years on job training before i could happily go self employed on a job to job basis as there is so much i dont know.

Money wise i now earn £33k + per year includes Van, Fuel, Insurance and Phone which is all paid for.

The thing with your post is mate that your damned by the proffesionals if you do and damned by the rest if you dont because we constantly read and hear about the shortage of tradesmen as everyone goes to Uni.

One last tip though decide and decide early wether you want to be an installer or a repairer as i now beleive you cannot realistically be both.
Set your goals on one and become good at that there is always many years to learn the rest.

Good Luck
Charles

i am now a service and breakdown guy, i will not call myself an engineer yet as the breakdown part can have me in tears somedays but i love my job and was only 23 when i started
Money wise i now earn £33k + per year includes Van, Fuel, Insurance and Phone which is all paid for.

Good Luck
Charles[/quote]Like I said Plumbing as a trade is DEAD ..Long live the Service Engineer...And Good Luck to you both ;) Seriously. PS only way to be good @ install is to be fast ,is it not

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back