Becoming a plumber

the money is in installs

Thats true if you can do it in a day.

servicing and breakdowns doesn't pay these days

Also true, not the big bucks anyway, but you can make a good living if you know your stuff.

if you can just do one system a week that's 48 grand a year with 4 weeks holidays

Also true. If you are fast enough and good enough to be able to do an install without even thinking you could get twice that, or more working for yourself. That would be over £100 grand a year :LOL: :) Dream on

There are some catches though

It is not as easy as you think to find 48 jobs a year every year or even near that.

If you are employed you would be lucky to get £450 for an install and if you have a mate you are halving it.

So your 100K becomes 50-60K books in. Have you any idea how hard it is to do 5 installs a week every week? Let me tell you, unless you have done it you know nothing. Boiler on the wall, flue cored and rads up before 9 or its gonna be a BAD day.

There is also the abuse you put your body through shot knees, arthritic hands, broken bones (you might get a tea break for some broken ribs) your mate giving you stitches, lungs knackered with dust and soot because you haven't got time to go to the van for a mask. Health and Safety? whats that? Family? Wife? Never see them! Everything takes 2nd place to the work. Believe me i've did it all just to chase the money.

Was it worth it?
At the time it seemed so.
Would i do it again?
Possibly, because i could, probably not because i missed out on lots.

Don't fill the OP's head with s**t£ about what he could make. It won't happen mainly because he will never be in the company of many different tradesmen who could or would teach him the ways to do things quickly and easily.

If he gives it a go and is half decent £25 -30K is well within his reach after a while but even that won't be easy.

BTW
There are many on here who knock the 1 day guys. There are a lot of good ones out there. I did it over 14 years and know the toll it takes. Respect to you guys :)

Very true Tamz,im in hospital on monday for a hip replacement op,thats what its done for me at 48 years old,fortunately,i work for a company now,not S.E. they say i can go back on ASVs when i return.
Wish me luck...

Sponsored Links
I do have to say that I seem to read of a lot of people on here who have had serious problems with knees etc. mostly apparently as a result of work on plumbing and heating.

Tony

I do have to say that I seem to read of a lot of people on here who have had serious problems with knees etc. mostly apparently as a result of work on plumbing and heating.

Tony

Don't tell that to any carpet fitter if you value your teeth, :eek: ;) ;)

[quote="nogoodatfaultfinding";p="1497059

]Like I said Plumbing as a trade is DEAD ..Long live the Service Engineer...And Good Luck to you both ;) Seriously. PS only way to be good @ install is to be fast ,is it not[/quote]

Nige you are spot on mate and in an empty shell and wether on Plastic or Copper i bet i could give anyone on here a run for their money but in an occupied house where i have to lift boards and work out where pipe and runs have to go i feel like an apprentise.
However if my boss just needs a combi swap then he sends me as i can have one out and one in even if its non HE to HE in roughly 4/5 hours including electrics so i think hes happy at that.

Even done 2 in one day on the 22/12 last year so they would have heating over chrimbo.[/quote] Interesting you find occupied places slower. I always thought I was slow - but I always did occupieds :eek: You`ve made my day ;) Unfortunately won`t help my knackered knees tho`.

Sponsored Links
Very true Tamz,im in hospital on monday for a hip replacement op,thats what its done for me at 48 years old,fortunately,i work for a company now,not S.E. they say i can go back on ASVs when i return.
Wish me luck...

All those W2000's and Spacesavers humpfed over the top of kitchen worktops wouldn't have helped that. For those who don't know what these are think Mexico with a wall bracket :eek:

Good luck mate i'm sure the op will work out well, you'll be like a new man in a few months.

When you get back fit remember to take it easy... don't get fired back in there, you've done your bit for "the cause" ;)

When i was younger the older guys would say to me "you'll suffer when you are older".

I used to look at them like they were off their head! I was indestructible :p
When i passed 40 it hit me with a vengeance :eek:
:LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back