becoming self employed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi there, i wonder if anyone can give me some advice? i'm trying to take the big step of becoming self employed and working for my self.I'm a service and breakdown engineer and i'm gas safe registered and have public liability insurance.i've sent emails to boiler manufacturers with regards to being a service agent.but so far no luck!any advice of how other people got going on their own would be a great help. thanks Dan

Sponsored Links
Good Contacts thats what will make it for you

I went self employed after 27 Years as an employee over this time I built up many friendships with industry movers & shakers

its nor what you know as much as who you know!

I wish you well in your venture ...keep the faith oh and by the way look for a local BNI chapter you will find much help there as a new start business!! ;)

If you are any good and charge a reasonable fee, you won't need to advertise for long.

Sponsored Links
Gumtree's a good place to start mate; your ads will even show up on Google if you word them well.

Also:

Check out VistaPrint, I got 1000 full colour business cards printed front and back for £35 delivered including VAT. Dish them out to anyone who will take them, you don't know who they might pass them on to.

They also do fliers, keyrings, posters...

Get another SIM card and keep it in a spare mobile. Have this as your business number so you always answer it in a professional manner.

Get a website if you can. People just don't use Yellow Pages and the Thomson directory any more; they search online.

You will basically spend 60% of your time trying to find business and 40% actually working. Be prepared for this and put some money by to keep you going as getting established will be the hardest part.

Hope this is helpful.

ive been on the gas for 9 years mainly employed by small companies.the last company i worked for was service agents for halstead and biasi and did a lot of work for insurance companies. thanks enrico for the advice ill be checking out advertising on gumtree

well you have got good experience, you will have to install boilers an heating systems to make it work tho. there are far to many boiler insurance policeys these days
AA, BARCLEYS, NATWEST BG EON WARMSURE BLR MANUS AND A MILLION AN 1 SELF CONFESSED PLUMBERS!!

goodness me that is scary!

...and don't shy away from the small jobs - ballcock valves and blocked toilets can make the little extra cash you may need, plus they may lead to a lot more work.

Check out how much LPG there is around your area there arn't many RGI's with LPG tickets in it is very expensive to do NG-LPG changeover ACS ;)

Just read the C**P that i wrotye above - I meant INEXPENSIVE to do the NG LPG Changeover Sorry :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back