Becoming a Self Employed 'Gas Safe' Engineer...Good Idea ???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Need some advice from people in the trade please.

I am seriously thinking about going self employed as a Boiler/Central heating engineer. I have visited one of these 'fast track' training organizations and was rather impressed. However, the Chap I spoke to was painting a rather rosey picture of my plan. Maybe more interested in selling a course that is not cheap.(I hope not).Anyway,I need a few more opinions before I take the plunge.

Basically, I just want to fix and maintain domestic boilers. I am not really interested in installing, just fix and maintain.

I am a maintenance electrician in a factory, hopefully this is a good background. Fault finding is my job.Was planning on slowly building up a reputation and customer base while still in employment. I have many related questions.

Thanks
Jason :)

Sponsored Links
This question has been asked many times before.

If you have a paid job at the moment, and bearing in mind we are in a recession, do you think this is wise?

How busy do you think the heating industry is at the moment? Bearing in mind there are now a fair number of time served gas technicians out of work, what chance do you think you would have, clutching your wad of freshly printed certificates?

The last thing an employer wants right now is a rookie from a fast track college. And if you start out on your own, how will you make the phone ring?

There is no shortage of plumbers, I hope the training provider hasn't been fibbing to you.

Of course he is trying to sell you an expensive course.
And even if you pass, you still won't be a RGI, as you will need to build up a portfolio.
Call crapita, get the details, and if you are still interested, phone around until you have enough places listed that offer you apprenticeships to complete the portfolio.
Bit of a boring job, but it will safe you 4 grand.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back