Self employed plumbers

Sponsored Links
Tony it seems you are critical of the CC folk. Surely you are a CC as well or have you served your time as a plumber sine you quit BBC? I have come across CC guys who could run rings around some RGIs who think they are bee's knees.

When I left BT in '92, I did my Gas courses and had CORGI access me to be registered right away. Reluctance to register surely did not apply in my case.

I took the ACS for the first time using the three day refresher course before the assessments. I rather upset the trainer because I seemed to know too much. He apologised to me afterwards when he saw that I got very good scores in the assessments!

However, I had been CORGI registered 10 years before when it was still voluntary and while I was working for the BBC.

But with my electronics and experience of high power transmitter plumbing and control systems, domestic boilers were only an extension of my previous engineering experience. I had also installed my own boilers and heating.

So I am technically a CC but not similar to a banker or solicitor whose previous work had no connection at all with heating systems.

Tony

Sponsored Links
So I am technically a CC but not similar to a banker or solicitor whose previous work had no connection at all with heating systems.

Tony

I know that it has been stated in the press that people such as bankers, are leaving these type of professions to become plumbers but personally, i don't believe it for one minute.
Not unless they were really sh1t at their career or fired for thieving or knocking off the bosses missus.

Most CC's I have come across are ex bus drivers or prison inmates.

Tony wrote
I took the ACS for the first time using the three day refresher course before the assessments. I rather upset the trainer because I seemed to know too much. He apologised to me afterwards when he saw that I got very good scores in the assessments!

What college. Take it your statement can be varified independently by those at the college?

Its just nonsense really Tony, you do yourself no favors by making silly statements.

Why would anybody training somebody get annoyed that the pupil knows his stuff? Would that not just make his job easier?

I'd love to visit your world one day, must be great....

It was one of the usual assessment places.

It was the trainer/assessor who told me that. He said that it worried him but he did not say why!

Tony

Thanks Paul. I see your point, however 99 percent of the work we do is sub contracting from large building firms or large mechanical firms. I am trying to expand my business by getting regular work from these companies. They need to be confident that I have the available manpower (which currently I don't) to be able to accomodate them. If we all turn up on site with different company names on the van it looks like I've just had a whipround of anyone I know with a set of benders and a spanner. I entirely agree with you generally about being honest regarding subbies, but in this instance looking like we are all from one company is better.

I am not trying to pull the wool over the eyes of these firms giving us work. If they give us enough work to warrant employing more plumbers full time then I will offer the self employed guys who come to me paye, van, holiday pay etc. However I need to give anyone who comes to work for us a trial run first and subbing to self employed is the best way to do this.

Sorry for the long winded response, I just wanted to assure anyone who may have been interested that we are not a 'white van man, get as much money as you can and scarper' sort of firm. We have a good reputation and want to maintain that long term.

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back