Best way to get work as a self-employed plumber

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been advertising as a self-employed plumber for a while but haven't hit on the best way to get work yet. Advertising in about 10 newsagents windows has bought in only one or two calls. Advertising in a free newspaper likewise brings in very few calls and i've had a line advert in the yellow Pages and thompson's and this results in zero calls.

How have other people fared?

Sponsored Links
none of us have anywork.

we spend all day on this site !

mmm lets think about it. if advertising in ten windows only gets you 2 jobs so lets say that atleast 20 people go into each shop per day thats 200 per day 1400 people per week and you only got two jobs doesnt that tell you that maybe going out on your own is a really really bad idea?

as JPC says we are all suffering to a greater or lesser degree thanks to loads of pillocks who have done ten minute courses(not saying you are one of them) and all the former eastern block members of our great united states of europe flooding in

Bad time to go it alone I would have said

Sponsored Links
I spend 3k on phone books 1k on websites nothing in corner shops or newspapers.

The trick to getting work is to do every job that comes your way, and of course do it well. Also get it right because you don't get payed for come backs.

I used to make the mistake of turning down an emergency because I was on a biggish job. Now I do all emergencies and delay the biggish job, because you build up your customer base from turning up to everything. Vertually every customer uses you two or three more times, and many pass your details on to their friends.

In the end you are dissapearing up your oiwn tail just turning up to your customers and their friends repeat jobs.

The cost of this approach is that you are never home, but you are building up a good business.
'
The estimates I am not getting round to are new customer estimates for full heating jobs or bathrooms. Biggish jobs. ALl small jobs I get around to asap.

There are occasional weeks when the phone doesn't ring at all, then you can fill your diary between 9 and 11am on a Monday.

Monday morning would be a good time to pay someone to be in on your landline. Many people just phone the landline even in thjis day and age.

I know full well if I payed someone to manage my landline all week I would be able to take on a full time skilled qualified person and more than double the turnover.

Get out there and do everything at any time, and in a year you'll be moaning that the phone rings so much you can';t get on with the job.

"The trick to getting work is to do every job that comes your way, and of course do it well. Also get it right because you don't get payed for come backs.

I used to make the mistake of turning down an emergency because I was on a biggish job. Now I do all emergencies and delay the biggish job, because you build up your customer base from turning up to everything. Vertually every customer uses you two or three more times, and many pass your details on to their friends. "

wise words...i'll remember them...thx

contact local builders for sub contract work.i do sub work for builder and it gives me guaranteed work and bread and butter money , but its only about 3 months per year.therefore giving me plenty of time in between for private work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back