Advertising - what works best for you ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok i'm in the process of going alone having got qualifications and completed a certain amount of non-notifiable work. I've also complete "notifiable" work before it was a requirement

Obvoiusly word of mouth is the best /cheapest form of advertising but i was wondering what the self employed sparks on here use to advertise and what seems to bring in the work? Check a Trade/ Papers / Website

What works best for you ?

Sponsored Links
Nothing but work of mouth is working for me of late, I dont seem to get any new "fresh" business, all repeat customers and referals. It is too competitive and too many people doing hobbles I find.

checkatrade - does work, but really only once you have a reasonable number of customer comments, which obviously you won't have if just starting.

newspapers - gets customers sometimes and not others, unfortunately this will mean paying for adverts which get no results, as there seems to be no pattern as to when the adverts work and when not.

website - pretty much useless.

There is also the yellow pages - biggest waste of money you can find. A better result would be obtained by stapling business cards to a stack of tenners and throwing them from a moving vehicle.
Their website offerings are worse, because unless you spend thousands of pounds, your ad will be on page 400 of the search results and no one will ever see it.

Leaflets/flyers can work, provided they are decent ones (full colour is essential) and you choose the delivery areas carefully, however these require that many thousands are delivered to get any sort of result.
Poor quality A4 photocopies hacked in half with a blunt butter knife will get nothing (yes, I have actually seen some so called businesses advertising in this way :eek: )

If starting to advertise, you will get plenty of leeches calling trying to sell you all kinds of other adverts. They are all a total waste of money, and when they call, only two short words are required.
Examples include calendars, appointment cards, magazines you never heard of, website people claiming to get you on the 1st page of Google, advertising boards in supermarkets, card displays in DIY stores, spurious publications for unknown charities / disabled children and so on.

A better result would be obtained by stapling business cards to a stack of tenners and throwing them from a moving vehicle.

I'd be happy to distribute these for you. I'll even do the stapling if you drop off a box of each.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back