Bedroom Low Level Lighting Issue

...As various sources in the past have indicated, the results is by no means linear. Typically I have had to adjust to much lower inputs than the brightness would have indicated. My control method was pwm so in the present case the results may be different, but initially I'd lean towards the smaller values myself.
Yes, that could well be the case. Given that the results are instantly apparent, in practice one would presumably just sit down with the light and a box of capacitors and, within a very few minutes will have ascertained, by trial and error, what was needed to produce the desired effect

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Do you mean 22/ 27?
He meant 22 or 27 or 33 nF (and I had previously suggested about 50 nF). As has been said, you really have to 'suck it and see' - which, if you don't have a stash of suitable capacitors of various values, could cost you a significant amount of time and money.

Kind Regards, John

Last edited:
Ah, sorry. Yes.
Actually I have 4 x 22nF 1500V sitting here. If I could have found out how to pm you for an address I'd have stuck them in the post for you. It would allow you to try any value from 5nF up to 88nF by serial parallel combos. When you found the value you wanted you could go and buy better fitting ones.

So what you're saying is that Detlef suggested smaller values, ie all those smaller than your suggested 50?
Well, it's really 'anything any everything'. We just don't know whether you're going to end up needing 5 nF or 100 nF (or something in between, or maybe even more 'extreme') to get the result you want. Detlef's suggestion of getting four 22 nF ones, so as to give you a wide range of possible combination values is a very good one.

For what it's worth, my suggestion of 'about 50 nF' was the result of some rough mental arithmetic aimed at roughly halving the current through the LED elements - but I haven't much of a clue as to what effect that would have on the light output.

Kind Regards, John

Thanks Detlef, for your kind offer and everybody for their advice.

I have ordered some caps, along with some white plastic film to cover the lens.

I'll have a fiddle and let you know!

As John said, it's not clear what you want from these lights. As anecdotal info, I have some ~20mm 1W LED units on the ceiling in many of the rooms in the house for low level lighting at night. They're actually running at around 0.1W from 11pm onwards and you can easily navigate all of these rooms in the house despite the rooms being large.

I wondered about the exact value.
All this talk about using trial and error to see what works best, but then aptsys says he has a 1W (same value as mine) fitting running at a tenth of the rated value. He says they are perfectly adequate for nightime illumination. I have three of those Click Euro modules close to skirting level around the room. It'd be well worth trying his solution (unless it is a dimmer).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back