bedroom storm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi I spotted this on my exterior facing fall in master bedroom of semi detached house.

Can any one provide any ideas....

yes i am gona have to go up in the loft to investigate but British Gas over done it on the insulation..wont be able to find joists to walk on at this rate.

any support advice or recommended trades local in romford would be appreciated.

the wallpaper was soggy this morning so i took it away a bit. there is a small plaster crack visable.

see attached bedroom storm images in my album. dont know how to paste images here just yet

View media item 70985 View media item 70988 View media item 70987 View media item 70986 View media item 70989 View media item 70995 View media item 70994

Sponsored Links
Pics of the exterior of the wall would help.
sorry i am at work at the mo. I usally get home after dark week days. the the exteroir wall is about 10+ metres tall.

cant see how i am going to get any pictures from ground level that would useful.

Understand that, but you will get more response on here by showing the exterior of the wall.
Those pics show the result of the rain penetration, but they give little clue as to where and why it is getting in.

Sponsored Links
Understand that, but you will get more response on here by showing the exterior of the wall.
Those pics show the result of the rain penetration, but they give little clue as to where and why it is getting in.

so is it worth going into the loft area with a torch tonight ???and taking some pics

so is it worth going into the loft area with a torch tonight ???and taking some pics

The rain doesn't come from the loft, it comes in because of some problem outside of the loft so it makes sense to show a photo of the outside. An additional photo of the loft may help, but it's outside that's important at this point.

If the wall is 10 metres high unless you have a castle, it is a flat, so speak to the leaseholder.

I can't spot any slipped tiles, but I see a soil pipe vent coming through the roof. I'd look round that first for water penetration.

Binoculars are good for looking for tile problems.

Does the gutter slope well towards its downpipe?

Ok so its a very small castle :D .

I would have thought that with that amount of roof overhang on the gable it's more likely that the water is coming from the roof rather than through the wall, which looks to be cavity anyway. Unless you have cavity insulation it is unlikely that any damp will penetrate through past a cavity anyway.

Where is that vent pipe in the roof in relation to the damp? That would be my first port of call. I think you may have to brave the insulation horrible stuff! Do wear a mask gloves and disposable clothing if possible. Drives me mad how the eco police insist on covering joists with it!

Given that there is a large overhang on the side of your roof I would say there is probably some problem around the vent pipe. If possible try and take some more pics zooming in around that area. And, yes it would be a good idea to take some pics in the loft if possible.
I know continually taking more and more pics and then posting them is a pain in the proverbial, but, if you do want some free advice from those who do this for a living we do need to see what we are dealing with.
Finally, you could always ask around your friends if they know a good, honest, reputable roofer in your area and get him to have a look. Ther are often facebook groups that are localised for that sort of thing. A survey will cost you nothing and he may be able to sort it out there and then a bit cheaper than a re-visit would be.

so far thanks to johnd, footprints, and yorike1969

i braved going up in the loft area, its hell up there so many struts, and cross bits of wood. Got my wife to help we used an extension lead and an old bedside lamp, no torch avail here yet. ok I went up and got as close to the external wall of the bedroom and soilpipe. Soilpipe seems to be well mounted and no visible signs of leaks from the exterior. The water damage in the bedroom only appeared twice. In the earlier photos was a small and then enlarged after heavy heavy rain. we only moved in a year ago and didn’t spot any water on that wall before.
footprints the pipe vent is about a metre away from the damage. In the bedroom pic you can see the soil pipe boxed in the left hand side of the photo and room.

ive added more pic, appreciate your intelligence and advise Guys

couldn't risk getting any closer, with the chance of having my foot through the floor/ celing

View media item 71153 View media item 71152 View media item 71154 View media item 71155 View media item 71157 View media item 71158

is the wet close to or under the holes drilled in the wall for those aerials?

Is rthe end timber wet?

Water can run down a slope so it appears distant from the point of entry

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back