Bedroom Wardrobe LED Lights Fed off Socket + Light Switches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to add LED lights to the top and bottom of a bedroom wardrobe unit. This is where LED strips are added to the top of the wardrobes and overhead cabinets (lighting up the ceiling), and three spot lights are added to the underside of the overhead cabinets (lighting up the bed headboard).

The lights are powered by small transformers but I would like to use a standard flush fitting light switch sunk into one of the wardrobes.

The basic wiring layout would be like this:

But my version would be

13 amp plug plugged into existing wall socket
Flex cable connected to round junction box behind bed
Flex cable connected to flush mounted dual light switch routed through wardrobe
Transformer cables connected to round junction box, fed off switches and powers two sets of lights.

The switch will be flush on the outside of the wardrobe with a surface mounted back box inside the wardrobe. A strip of trunking goes from the back box to the back of the cabinet, and then to the back of the bed where the junction box and tranfsormers are screwed to the wall.

Would this be safe and pass regulations?

Sponsored Links
The plug should have a smaller fuse than 13A. 3Amp Is more the thing.
It’s plug in so If it’s safe it’s up to you. And Part P (regulation) does say that electrical work must be safe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back