Bedroom wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had my bungalow totally rewired 4 years ago. When they replaced the light switches in the main upstairs bedroom, I had them put in a switch next to the bed so I could turn the light off from there.

We have never had a problem with this until now. Both switches continue to work fine i.e I can turn the light on and off from either switch, BUT for some reason now if I turn the light on from the door switch, I can only turn it off from that switch, and if I turn it on from the bed switch, I can only turn it off from that switch...wierd? This has not been the case for the last 4 years

We have had no other electrical work done in the house.

Where should I start??

Sponsored Links
check the connections inside both switches. Make sure all wires are nice and tight in their holes. But if you take anything out of the switches, note what goes where first.

form what you say, i would guess the switches have given up (get MK brand)

try new one gang two way switches, and note my signature

I've removed both switch covers and all wiring is secure...

The Door switch has a yellow wire with a red collar at the top, a red wire in the bottom left, and a blue wire + red collar on the right.

The Bed switch has a yellow +red collar at the top, 1 x red wire (from same cable as yellow), + red wire from the same cable as the black wire -both on left connection. The right connection has a blue + red collar, and a black + red collar.

Both switches are GET and in both, the earth wire is not connected to anything.

Both switches work independantly of each other

What next?

Sponsored Links
New switch on door side...all working fine now....thanks for the help

i would be inclined to change both, they have just worn out, i made similar mistake recently got cheapo switch (not enough cash on me) only lasted 3 years

unfortunatley I only had Wickes as a quick supplier on a Sunday........cost 99p per switch. I'll replace both and then upgrade the next time they go

ban-all-sheds said:
shobbs said:
in both, the earth wire is not connected to anything.
:eek: :eek: :eek:

Ok if a plastic front cover and plastic backbox. Though the earth cable should be terminated neatly in something like a single terminal strip in case a metallic switch cover is used in the future.

HandyJon said:
ban-all-sheds said:
shobbs said:
in both, the earth wire is not connected to anything.
:eek: :eek: :eek:

Ok if a plastic front cover and plastic backbox. Though the earth cable should be terminated neatly in something like a single terminal strip in case a metallic switch cover is used in the future.

No Jon, not ok. Earths MUST be terminated to give cpc continuity.

both switches are plastic. One has the earth wire with a metal connector on the end, the other is just the plastic sleeve, but the wire is about 2 inches up the sleeve. Neither boxes have a connector for earth attached.

Do I need to do something?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back