Beginner need advice on sander with vacuum

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

I hope you are all well.

OK so I need my hand held, I am sorry.

I have bought my first house so it's quite shabby. It's 3 bedrooms and the walls are quite rough despite having paint on them. It was built in 1990.

The walls in the flat I used to live in are really really smooth (and matt).

I understand I need to sand the walls before painting.

I have read that a sander with vacuum is best. I don't have a vacuum cleaner, and I am looking to replace all the carpets with laminate so I am not planning on having a vacuum cleaner.

Which sander is reasonable? Is £50 enough?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
You might not need to sand if it's smooth.

I have a screwfix orbital that was about £60 and that's connected to an Aldi wet/dry vacuum. The vacuum has a socket that detects the power flow and automatically switches on with a short overrun when the sander stops. It works well.
Sanding without dust prevention is a nightmare.

It's not smooth. The paint finish in the house I have bought is really rough.

I am saying that the flat I used to live in had really smooth finish, and I want to replicate that in the house.

If you're actually sanding plaster, the dust will be enormous.
I stripped a through lounge that had been papered, about 60 years old. Various old repairs.
The majority was ok but every square metre was repaired in some way or other.

I spent a solid two weeks sanding the walls with coarse and fine using an extractor. The walls are bloody good but could do with a couple of spots redoing. The dust when the hose fell off was unimaginable.

Sponsored Links
i used a 1/2 sheet ryobi sander to do the hall in a bungalow and this weekend a cloakroom renovating and the dust was considerable.
I used a roll of sand paper and tried to make holes and had a Henry Vacuum I use for DIY, BUT still generated a lot of dust.

The sander clips have now broken, and I was not happy with the dust extraction so I'm looking at a 1/4 sheet dewalt which has some good reviews, just waiting to see if goes on offer anywhere, also I prefer buying paper in rolls then the velcro sheets, so also looking at the fixing method as the Ryobi was very poor

A good 5-6 inch orbital will set you back about £150, but well worth it, will take out most rough areas with one pass.

I'd recommend a DA (AKA random orbital 125mm or 150mm) sander rather than an orbital. It will be much faster.

I can't recommend a particular one. Mine are Festool and cost more than a DIYer could justify.

If you want something that you can use all day rather than 2 hours, let it rest and then another 2 hours then look at Dewalt, (blue) Bosch, Makita.

https://www.axminstertools.com/power-tools/sanders-polishers/random-orbit-sanders

Once you are finished with it you can sell it on fleaBay.

I would strongly advise against not using a vacuum (read: dust extractor) the dust from plaster clings to everything. Buy one and then flog it, or hire/borrow.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back