Being asked to ask some scrap copper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've pulled a load of old copper pipe and old cables out and a lad helping runs a scrap van on the side and is pestering me to sell it to him.
I'm quite happy he makes a decent mark up on it if he takes it away but don't want to be scammed and I've no idea what is reasonable.
It's an armful (probably 5m) of mostly 22mm pipe and maybe 10m of what looks like 2.5mm two core cable, I know it's sold by weight but just after a ballpark figure that's reasonable to ask for.

Sponsored Links
If its only 5m total length of pipe and 10m of sheathed cable ? just give it him fir the good will, its only few quids worth.

Last edited:
Probably only worth £20 ish if that. My mate who is a sparks, used to get his Dad stripping cable because he got more that if the sheathing had been burnt off. Probably can’t burn cable these days anyway though. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Check the price of copper. If it's high it may be worth a few quid, if it's low just give him it because it would probably cost more to take it to the yard yourself.
Of course this may be one way he makes a bit of money because his job pay is not good.

06CD5F9D-3C79-4C7C-A2B4-95CAF0B9693B.png

Damn good prices. I’ve got about 200kg at home.

If your self employed you need to be paying tax on your scrap.
I think this will be one way of the government clawing back after we come out of this pandemic.

Some will get a shock

Cheers guys. I remember we had a load of stuff a few years back but buy the time we'd spent all the time getting it transported and sorted at the yard, it only just covered paying a guy to do it!
I'm not too fussed in that case, just checking he wasn't trying the old "let me take this off your hands" routine ;)

Most scrap dealers need you to register with them with picture ID, and then they will only pay by cheque or bank transfer. You may get pulled by plod and asked for your waste carriers license. If it was me I would let your mate do it and go 50/50. The dealer I used will give you a cheque, then if you go to the next window they will cash it for you, at a price.

Most scrap dealers need you to register with them with picture ID, and then they will only pay by cheque or bank transfer. You may get pulled by plod and asked for your waste carriers license. If it was me I would let your mate do it and go 50/50. The dealer I used will give you a cheque, then if you go to the next window they will cash it for you, at a price.

I hadn't realised that. Perhaps we'll let him take the scrap for free and as he's doing some work for us, he'll reduce his bill by a tenner ;)

Sponsored Links
Back