Being Self employed

because they cant pay their HMRC bill.
I'm one of those no-risk career savers. I'm weird, I hate debt. I pay for everything up front. All the goods in the house, car, van, mortgage. Always have the tax money saved, though it was a tough one this year having just bought the van and won't feel the benefit till next time I pay.

If I can't afford stuff, especially luxuries, then I save up till I can. The naff grey windows can wait till next year.

Sponsored Links
Its Anthracite grey (RAL 7016)

Its a fashion that will become dated quickly.

Ahh, another fashion that's completely passed me by. I'm usually in fashion for a couple of months each decade.

A bit like the sage green bathroom suite we bought for our first house in 1984. Soon became a bit naff. Only ever had white since then. Oh, and the gold taps/shower and heated towel rail not to mention the ornate plaster cornice's, dado rails, corbels and wall niches and reproduction dining table, chairs, TV and wall units, Adams fireplace, swag and tail curtains - I could go on but I’m cringing just thinking about it....:unsure:

All that remains from that era is our Swarovski gold plated crystal chandeliers. They’ve been in both our houses. They were one of the first things we bought new and I remember we paid £125 each for them in Roman Road, Bow and the wife sat in the back of my van holding them up all the way home. They had over12” of chain on them when we bought them as our first house was a Victorian house with tall ceilings. We had to remove practically all the chain in when we moved into our present house. They’re 35 years old now and the wife just won’t part with them.

CD9010A4-C0A5-47E2-A011-B4CDDF0EE378.jpeg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I used to be on that Ltd co paid by dividend thing. Do people still do that? and if so would they only be able to claim 80% of the NIC threshold a week they paid themsselves ? that would be a bummer.

Specifically excluded I think.

I thought so too but apparently directors on the payroll can be furloughed but they cannot work for any company other than their own. On that basis I would be eligible but my wife wouldn’t as she also works for the NHS.

I'm one of those no-risk career savers. If I can't afford stuff, especially luxuries, then I save up till I can.

That makes you a conservative (shock, horror). What are you doing on here among all the commies?

Its Anthracite grey (RAL 7016)

I've not seen this new fashion yet, fortunately.

There has been nothing stylish in British architecture since before WW2.

I've not seen this new fashion yet, fortunately.

There has been nothing stylish in British architecture since before WW2.

I went to the Junkers factory a few years back. Stuttgart was 90% bombed by the allies, yet to look at you would not believe. The architecture was amazing. They built it back as it was.

No rubbish and most probably the friendliest most welcoming people I've ever met.

Last edited by a moderator:
My FIL was in Germany on National service, one of his main memories was seeing women cleaning bricks from bomb damaged buildings ready for rebuilding

I went to the Junkers factory a few years back. Stuttgart was 90% bombed by the allies, yet to look at you would not believe. The architecture was amazing. They built it back as it was.

No rubbish and most probably the friendliest most welcoming people I've ever met.

As a complete contrast to that, and see how it shouldn't be done, visit Plymouth.

I used t

I used to do my gas courses down in Plymouth. Was. Miss mash... But I liked it.

There are some nice older parts, a walk along the hoe down to The Barbican is pleasant enough, but seeing all the drab 1950's concrete built buildings is a little depressing.

Sponsored Links
Back