Belgravia street explodes - 11,000 volt cables fails

Sponsored Links
Several Tabloids, and the BBC news. Keep seeing snippits all day.

"The blast, believed to be caused by a faulty cable carrying 11,000v cable".

I must admit, I find it hard to believe it's 11,000 volt that has caused this, I have seen the effects of a couple 11,000 volt fails, and it has never been like that! Perhaps the protection failed...

Struggle to find it online, other than here...

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/lond...sending-flames-shooting-into-sky-8589118.html

Several Tabloids, and the BBC news. Keep seeing snippits all day.
They all just repeat what the others say.

Once an original report injects "gas explosion" or "11kV" or whatever into a story it just propagates - no news organisation is likely to send anybody out to start doing original investigation of an event like that, they just sit at their desks and take stuff off the internet.

Take any story you like, of only "local" significance, no mayhem/death/destruction etc, and start Googling for it - you'll find newspaper after press agency after broadcaster churning out the same text.

I'm not an expert on explosions, but to me there looks like too much black smoke for it to be a gas explosion.

Sponsored Links
I must admit, I find it hard to believe it's 11,000 volt that has caused this, I have seen the effects of a couple 11,000 volt fails, and it has never been like that! Perhaps the protection failed...
Highish resistance fault causes overheating, insulation starts to melt (how old might this cable be? Might there be bitumen?), fault becomes low resistance, ignites polymers, bitumen?

Also, don't forget the basic physics - a stick of dynamite contains about 0.64kWh.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back