belkin router - security

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Another cry for help.

Just bought belkin G+ MIMO router and installed it ok onto lap top.

However when I view my wireless network connection it tells me that it is 'unsecured' whereas all my neighbours show secured.

When I ran through the set up I was never prompted to change or set up security encryption or anything.

My problem is that I have no idea how to access the router from my laptop and change the security settings.

Could someone please help !! :!:

PS: what are the actual risks from having an unsecured wireless connection. I am aware that other people in the vicinity can use my service but can they gain access to my computer or anything :?:

Sponsored Links
clout stench said:
Hi,

Another cry for help.

Just bought belkin G+ MIMO router and installed it ok onto lap top.

However when I view my wireless network connection it tells me that it is 'unsecured' whereas all my neighbours show secured.

When I ran through the set up I was never prompted to change or set up security encryption or anything.

My problem is that I have no idea how to access the router from my laptop and change the security settings.

Could someone please help !! :!:

PS: what are the actual risks from having an unsecured wireless connection. I am aware that other people in the vicinity can use my service but can they gain access to my computer or anything :?:

You should have instructions supplied on disk, but if you post the model number someone will help. you really should be using some form of encryption, preferably WPA or better.

If someone is using your open wireless access point for Internet use, they could be downloading all sorts. This is potentially traceable to you. it's possible that your private files are being exposed too.

thanks,

the model number is f5d9230-4

the instructions are on an adobe file and are just gobbledy gook to me. they keep telling you to open the security tab but i don't know where to find that.

i really have been left behind with all this tech stuff and feel like a real numpty!! :oops: :oops:

hi there clout,

you will find your security tab on the admin page wich can be found by typing 192.168.1.1 in your address bar,
you will be asked for a user name and password,
leave the user name blank and typ admin as the password
then set you wep/wpa key but make sure you write it down as you will have to set your wireless internet connection on your pc/laptop with this same password,
if you forget it just press the reset button on the router

Sponsored Links
thanks a million drewroof, i'll give that a bash tomorrow, going to bed now been up since 5.30.

i take it the address bar is where i type in web sites on my browser page?

drewroof said:
hi there clout,

you will find your security tab on the admin page wich can be found by typing 192.168.1.1 in your address bar,
you will be asked for a user name and password,
leave the user name blank and typ admin as the password
then set you wep/wpa key but make sure you write it down as you will have to set your wireless internet connection on your pc/laptop with this same password,
if you forget it just press the reset button on the router

The manual says the router address is 192.168.2.1. There is no username and there is no default password (ie, it's blank).

You can get the manual from here, and it's fairly easy to follow.

drewroof said:
i was using my experience from a lynksys router, sorry my bad but its geneally the same :D
Uh-huh. So which LinkSys router has a blank username and a password of "admin"? :rolleyes:

thanks to all for your help. i'm nice and secure now although i had to phone belkin to help talk me through it in the end, because i had too many options and some didn't support vista according to the manual :!:
:)

Sponsored Links
Back