Belling G707 - Struggle to light grill and low heat when lit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Belling G707 Gas Cooker with a temperamental grill :confused:

Recently, we have found the grill difficult to light - typically ignites on one side only (left when facing oven). If we attempt to re-light then the grill will go out as soon as the handle is released.

Assuming it lights fully, then the grill seems to only operate at low heat.

I have Googled the problem and read suggestions that it may be a temperature switch/thermocouple - does this seem a likely suspect to the experts? If there is anything I should/can test then let me know.

The cooker is approx. 10 years old but remains in great condition. We'd ideally want to get it fix but would appreciate your advice as to whether this should be a cheap fix or not.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Gas repairs are not an option for DIY so you should get a Gas Safe engineer to look at it.

Thanks but as I stated in my original post, I am trying to establish whether the fix is economical or not. I do not have any desire to play with gas or gas-powered appliances.

It may prove a waste of time to incurr a call out fee, etc - alternatively someone with experience may be able to advise if this is a routine quick/low cost fix.

Are are considering revamping our kitchen (12-18mths time) so I simply want to know if it is a worthwhile fix - hope that is ok.

The thing is, people qualified to answer your question probably don't frequent this site, which is a DIY advice forum.

Sponsored Links
Hmmm! little progress made with this one. My GF works for a gas fire/stove manufacturer and one of their service engineers has agreed to fix our cooker and service the fire & boiler at the same time - one visit, all done - nice and easy,

Suggested we'd sort the part to save him a job - trouble is no-one will talk to us. Belling aren't interested - I know this is a gas appliance but I have no intention of attempting the repair myself :evil:

If they were that concerned then why did they sell me a gas appliance on the first place??? ;)

It's the same with microwave oven spares. When I was in the trade some places expected me to supply evidence of my qualifications before they would sell me parts. There is no legal requirement for qualifications to repair a microwave, though it would be foolhardy to do the work without learning the safety procedures first.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back