Bellissimo Video Door Entry problem?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,
A couple of years ago I installed a Bellissimo video door entry system at work, and it all worked perfectly! Hurrah.
However, I have just added a fourth handset to the system (which is ok according to the manual) and it no longer works properly.

So I just want to see if any one here has any useful tips before I call in a grown-up to fix it.

I don't have high hopes of someone giving a successful diagnosis from my description, but I would dearly like to fix it myself and learn a little bit rather than call someone else in, so thanks for taking a look.

Basically, the master handset works fine when it is the only one plugged in.
The slave handsets will ring when the door buzzer is pushed, but when the handset is picked up it does not stop the ringing, will not let you activate the door lock, does not give audio to the door intercom, but it does give video.

I'm fairly sure it isn't a problem directly with the new handset because I get this problem now with any two phones plugged in. (again, master is fine on its own but the slaves do not work.)

I suspect that in putting in the new one I have just done something silly with wiring or dipswitches. Obviously I think I have double checked these, but if the above symptoms means something to someone they might point me towards triple checking something specific?

Many thanks in advance for any help!

Sponsored Links
I have no idea!

Could you be running out of steam? Adding the fourth handset may be causing the supply voltage to drop to the point where the other handsets start playing silly Bs.

Check the supply voltage with your meter and see how much it drops as you add the 2nd, 3rd and 4th handset. If this is your problem, try doubling up the power cores in your cable with unused cores (if you have any). Try running a bit of cheap flex or loudspeaker cable up the stairs as a temporary lash-up for the power. This will tell you whether it's worth recabling.

You may be able to add an additional power supply or transformer to run the 3rd and/or 4th handset. This will probably be a no-no if it's running on AC. If it's DC, make sure that the 0V is connected all the way through and that the +ve's are not.

Best of luck!

I've just been tinkering around with an ancient audio door entry system in our block of 8 flats, and have ended up replacing the handsets as the on/off hook switches were worn out.

Anyway, I found the resources section of the Bell System website quite useful for understanding the system operation, wiring diagrams etc.

I believe the Bellisimo videophone handset wiring is daisy chained. Do you have to set a switch to terminate the last one on your system? Not sure if getting the termination wrong would cause your fault symptoms, but may be worth a check if it doesn't turn out to be a power supply issue.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies!
Ok, the last phone does need to have a dip switch set to 'terminate' which I believe I have done, but will quadruple check.

I will get out my volt-meter and check if it is dropping, but I did still get my fault even when I only had two phones plugged in.

And no, I've not been adding in extra PSUs as, unless I've been reading it very wrong, the manual doesn't say I need them? It just says there is a limit of four phones in line?

I will check out the Bell link, many thanks for that!

The terminate is for the video signal only ! Do the all the handsets auto display on a call ?

No, I turned auto display off on all the handsets. It is only allowed to be on on one anyway, right?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back