Bend it like Beckham

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Never been particularly interested in football, I might watch a couple of games if we're doing OK in the World Cup.

On somebodies recommendation we watched the 4 part documentary on David Beckham (Netflix). It's one of the most riveting pieces of TV I've seen in years, the highs, the lows, the passion, the skill, and what an all round top bloke he is.

Watch it, even if you don't like football.

Sponsored Links
Yeah, we've seen part one so far and even Mrs Mottie is hooked.

He is popular with the girls.

I'd forgotten that Man U fans had a chant about Victoria taking it in the back door, which reminded me of an Ali G interview with the Beckhams for Comic Relief, looked it up on youtube, "if you have a baby, would you want it to grow up to be a footballer like David or a singer like Mariah Carey" and "is it true you take it up the botty?"

Sponsored Links
Yeah, we've seen part one so far and even Mrs Mottie is hooked.

I had a vague recollection of him kicking an Argentinian player, a bit of a tantrum. I didn't realise he was red carded and sent off when the score was 2-2, England went on to lose and it seemed most of the country blamed Beckham.

There was a hatred for him that lasted over 2 years, he was booed every time he went onto the pitch. Just talking about that period you could see Beckham was on the verge of tears.

I liked it when Posh said she had a 'normal' working class upbringing. Beckham made her say what car she got taken to school in. She eventually confessed, it was a Rolls Royce. :ROFLMAO:

I liked it when Posh said she had a 'normal' working class upbringing. Beckham made her say what car she got taken to school in. She eventually confessed, it was a Rolls Royce. :ROFLMAO:

That was funny. She also came across as quite likeable in the programme, I wasn't expecting that.

I had a vague recollection of him kicking an Argentinian player, a bit of a tantrum. I didn't realise he was red carded and sent off when the score was 2-2, England went on to lose and it seemed most of the country blamed Beckham.

There was a hatred for him that lasted over 2 years, he was booed every time he went onto the pitch. Just talking about that period you could see Beckham was on the verge of tears.
I think West Ham fans still have a 'Day of Hate' for Beck's: gathering around the Elephant and Castle where a life size effigy is hung from the roof. Children are invited to ritually beat it with hickory sticks while the High Priest of Hammer bangs a ceremonial drum, chanting a list of his misdeeds to stir the faithful into a most righteous ire. Then it is burned atop a bonfire of United memorabilia and a sacred yew tree, while the children dance around the merry blaze and elders toast marshmallows. All very cathartic for them, i guess.

Article in the Sunday Times today highlighting the many "errors" in the programme

She also came across as quite likeable in the programme,

Perhaps, but they'd be mad to show themselves in any other way.
Perhaps they did take-after-take to ensure the right image was portrayed?
A bit like taking selfie-after-selfie, filtering the livin' shoite out of them, then posting on FaceAche or worreva.....

IIRC Louise (Nurding, was Redknapp) - by any measure, a nice-looking lady - said in an interview that behind every photo she posted, there was "fifty or sixty" that she'd taken, but rejected because she wasn't happy with how they looked.

Add in now stuff like those Pixel 8 phones I've seen advertised )where you can edit the photos to such an extent that they're not even reality anymore) and, sad to say, I believe very little of the online world at first glance.

I think West Ham fans still have a 'Day of Hate' for Beck's: gathering around the Elephant and Castle
Lol. West Ham and the Elephant and Castle are miles apart and not even on the same side of the river!

Sponsored Links
Back