Bending plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm changing the shape of an alcove in my hallway from square to arched. Rather than making the arch from wire arch formers and plastering it, I am considering trying to bend a thin (4") strip of plasterboard to form the underside. I've heard you can soak plasterboard and bend into shape while it's wet. Is this right? If anyone's done anything similar I would appreciate any tips. Ta [/b]

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't soak it, but leave it out propped against a wall overnight and it will be curved in the morning from the damp..
they did it on DIY SOS... :)

To shape plasterboard you would normally apply several parallel cuts to the back of the board and snap it around a curve.

I form arches using plasterboard. I cut the arch shape into one board then copy it to the other board.

One board is fixed then a frame work of timber is fitted before the other board is fixed. This is so that the shape of the arch is visible and the timber frame can be built to (very) roughly match it.

Once the other board is fixed it is a case of filling in the void with bits of plasterboard. Initially you can screw bits of board to the rough timber frame. Then finish off the in-fill with thistle bonding or use board and dab to finish the void.

Sponsored Links
It depends too on the radius of the arch,, i lightly score the back of the strip with a stanley knife if it's a sharp radius, and that allows it to follow round the shape. If you do resort to water,, just keep dampening it with a sponge, and it will become flexible enough to work with,,, just don't overwet it.

Roughcaster.

agree! if it's a sharp curve and lots of bend needed, cut the back every inch or two, otherwise, wet the back and lean it up against the wall and it will curve, there is a surprising amount of bend in plasterboard naturally so as long as you've got most of the bending done the rest you can do when you fix it.

check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egA0Qr9zG-4

show you exactly what you need to know ;)

Agree with the score and shape methods described. Have been known to stick jointing mesh over this to add strength now and again - but some may laugh at this.

Hi.
I did this in my dining room over an arched window.
IT DOES work....obviously depending on the radius....as suggested leave it to form an arch over night...put something against the centre to "force" the bend....i used thin board and it took a couple of nights to get the right shape...but it did it.....Good luck.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back