bendy plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

Hope you can help. I am boxing around some pipework in a downstairs w.c and have been using white faced hardboard on the straight sections. However I have fitted a corner curved sink and have formed some studwork framing under this to set up a curve. I now want to face this and am looking for some help on how best to do this. I have tried scoring the back of the hardboard but it just simply breaks when i try to set up the curve.

Can I use 9.5mm plasterboard slightly damped to form the curve or is there a better suggestion. It will simply be painted white when finished if there is not a pre finished board out there that I can use.

regards

leroybrown

Sponsored Links
You could try steaming the hardboard where you want to bend it; this should allow it to be bent into quiet a sharp radius but it will have to be held to the shape you want until it dries out. I used this trick to make some of the interior trim on a car I’m restoring but it was fibreboard rather than the old style hardboard & not white faced but this should not make any difference.

If you go to one of the big sheds like B&Q they do MDF that has cuts in the underside to allow it to bend.

Hope that helps

dampened plasterboard works well. You need to get it reasonably damp, but not sodden and let it bend slowly eg lean it up against a wall so that it bends gradually under its own weight.

This was the method our plasterer used when boarding the ceiling of an upstairs room where the ceiling has a curved edge under the eaves.

leroybrown said:
Hi there

Hope you can help. I am boxing around some pipework in a downstairs w.c and have been using white faced hardboard on the straight sections. However I have fitted a corner curved sink and have formed some studwork framing under this to set up a curve. I now want to face this and am looking for some help on how best to do this. I have tried scoring the back of the hardboard but it just simply breaks when i try to set up the curve.

Can I use 9.5mm plasterboard slightly damped to form the curve or is there a better suggestion. It will simply be painted white when finished if there is not a pre finished board out there that I can use.

regards

leroybrown

Sponsored Links
yes I did thank you very much.

I did have some problems sourcing the bendy mdf espcially in signle sheet form. Most places would only sell it by the paletload or if I wasnt willing to start a business account I had to place a minimum order of £250.

In the end I managed to source it from Theobolds timber in Cadeby leics (which is about 2 miles from home) who ordered it in for me with no probelms.

The job is now done and i thnk you once again for all your help.

You could always try leaving a piece of plasterboard outside overnight.Rest it against the wall at a 45 degree angle and in the morning there will be a nice curve.I've done this alot and its always worked for me.

diyisfree said:
Show us a picture then :)

We like seeing completed work

not totally completed yet. still some tiling and flooring to do but i will try to post a picture as and when I finsih it all

I used some plasterboard dampened and bent to fit on the wall underneath my bay window, and was quite pleased with the result. The plasterboard needs to be well dampened, and left for a couple of days, and then gently bent into shape.
I live near Cadeby, and have found Theobolds a very friendly place to deal with.

I know this thread is old, but many thanks for all the tips!

Just built an arch, was wondering how you bend it :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back