Best adhesive for sticking down 5mm ply onto chipboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

Hopefully an easy one for you. I need to lift a bedroom floor slightly so that it is approx level with the bathroom tiles when carpeted. I've got a few sheets of 5mm ply which i'm going to lay over the existing 22mm chipboard T+G floor. Should bring it up enough. Not sure if the t+g was the moisture resistant type. I was planning to use 12mm staples in a staple gun and/or 20mm screws every 200mm.

I would also like to glue the ply down. Any ideas what type of glue to go for ? I was thinking normal PVA but maybe this is too weak. Does the fact that the boards maybe moisture resistant affect the bonding ability of the glue ?

Once the ply is down it's gripper rods / underlay and carpet.

Many Thanks

Wert

Sponsored Links
Screws would be fine, so glue would be belt and braces.

Neat pva should do it, the only other I can think of is grip fill, bit ott tho and expensive.

Someone at work suggested using flexible tile adhesive. Sounds like a good idea to me... what you think ?

Sponsored Links
Being in mind this is only having carpet, I'm sure it's not that crucial.

Screw, dont staple/nail. I initially nailed some ply as an underlay before putting down wood floors .. was creaking like a crazy thing even before I got to laying the real floor.

M

Screw it as mentioned above.

If you glue it and any part does not adhere or lifts in future you will have a noisy floor which can only be rectified by tearing the ply up and that will damage the chipboard.

Screwing allows you to lift parts if you need to.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back