Best broadband (bang for buck)

Reaction score
Dystopia, a small island too close to Europe
Country
United Kingdom
Just had an email from Virgin, my package deal is ending next month and they will then want £157 a month from me. I keep hearing about Community fibre being good, but does anyone have any dealings with them, or can recommend anyone else? Will whoever I go with use the existing Virgin cable coming into the house? as I don't have a BT line (long story). I could always leave and come back, don't really need TV package or landline phone, so just BB, and I want a fast one.

Sponsored Links
Sky is advertising a combo package with Netflix for £19 p/m for 18 months.
Dunno if that helps but anything must be better than whacking out such an outrageous lump o' dosh!

Virgin have a monopoly on their cable

£157 is a lot but must include expensive tv packages as we pay £53 for 300 mb

Sponsored Links
Gigabit fibre for £29 a month from Vodafone popped up on my comparisons recently. But it's Vodafone.

I'm a heavy user but anything over 300MB is probably just vanity.

How do all these providers get their services to you? All we have is the Virgin cable coming in, no BT line, no satellite dish.

What services can you get?

- BT line?
- satellite dish?
- mobile phone signal?

If you can't / won't get an alternative to the existing Virgin incomer, I suspect your options are going to be very curtailed.

We've got fibre optic cable to the home thanks to one of the new providers. We've had virgin as well in the past.

Openreach will string a new line for you at a very reasonable rate if you want it. I'd expect any conventional broadband/phone service to add that in for a small price.

We're on Gigabit with TalkTalk at the moment.

you will need phone line (open reach) to get most other services.
so that will cost for installation - which i'm sure varies now , but when a friend had to do this recently it was £150
I have vodafone, been with them for a couple of years and no issues , even when there was no broadband , they sorted and kept me informaed , unlike talktalk who were useless , although I see vodafone and talktalk are at the bottom for customer service

just remember a lot of companies are owned by a group
for example
BT own
PLUSNET
EE

This is the speed we get, not sure how it compares with other providers
IMG_20231116_103514.jpg

Mobile broadband is the simplest but nowhere near that fast unless you have a cracking 5G signal available. Do you need such a high download/upload speed?

All others need a new 'line' installed. Openreach in some areas may well no longer provide new copper lines to the home so will install fibre to the premises that other ISPs can use. ISPs may bundle a new line install at very subsidised rates.

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL/AddressHome is worth using to check what can be provided by Openreach to your address. Here, I can only have ADSL and under 40Mbit/s ... even though some housing in the village have G,Fast or FTTP it's "unavailable" to me.

Use something like https://www.uswitch.com/broadband/ to find what may be possible and the costs, too.

Does this fall into the category of "humble brag"? :)
No, just not sure if this is good as the community fibre I mentioned quotes 3Gbps, but don't know if they will use Virgins cable or fit their own. BT "full fibre 900" (sounds like my breakfast) is a similar cost, the benefit of BT would be I would then cease paying them for my email, but do BT use just a land line? I know Virgins cable is just that- a cable and not fibre optics.

What services/package are you receiving from Virgin? i.e. what will the £157 a month be buying you?

Do you need everything you're paying for?

Have you tried phoning their 'we're thinking of leaving you' folk to see if they can offer you a better deal?

Sponsored Links
Back