Best Car For Newly Qualified Driver

According to s recent report 38% of particulate pollution is from burning wood and Coal

Sponsored Links
Get a push bike . Don't fly . Get rid of the wood burner turn your leccy off ban oil fired boilers ect ect
Lol...done most of that..A 5litre 20mpg wagon to go to the shop,park on the grass,,,ram the kerbs,,,is gormless.

Lol...done most of that..A 5litre 20mpg wagon to go to the shop,park on the grass,,,ram the kerbs,,,is gormless.

But I am not going to the shop or ramming kerbs in a 6.6 or 5.7 motor

20 mpg hmmm I wish

Had a ford 302 in my cobra 302 is 5 litre yanks never fully adopted the metric system :)

I may post up a pic of my cobra then again I may not :)

Sponsored Links
But I am not going to the shop or ramming kerbs in a 6.6 or 5.7 motor

20 mpg hmmm I wish

Had a ford 302 in my cobra 302 is 5 litre yanks never fully adopted the metric system :)

I may post up a pic of my cobra then again I may not :)
Yawnnn..cant wait..not exactly a 4by 4 landy type is it tho.....keep up!

Last edited by a moderator:
As said,,,very 4by4 looking chelsea tractor.probably 2gall/mile

No tis not a 4X4 its a copy of one of the most iconic cars ever built
A collaboration between carol Shelby (rip) and AC cars in the UK

Original cars had 7 litre ford V8

No they did more than 2 to the gallon

I don't really get the reason why we still have VED. The more you use, the more you should pay. So a few pence on fuel would easily replace it, plus foreign drivers using our infrastructure would also pay when they fill up. Though HGVs can normally carry enough for the round trip. It would still catch all the Lutons and cars.

Considering our budget, the car we get will be at least 120K. High miles don't scare me, but I know some here would avoid them like the plague. I've seen many a well-maintained 3, 4 500,000+ diesel and they run very well indeed. For this reason, I was considering a diesel.

Of all the cars I have looked at (Note, Yaris, 206, Clio, Modus, Fabia, Rio, Doblo, Fiesta and Corsa), Note, Clio & Modus all share the same 1.5 lump, 206 & Fiesta the same 1.4 HDi, Corsa and Doblo share Fiat's 1.3D, Fabia has a range of 1.9 SDi and TDi models, with 1.2, 1.4 and 1.6 TDi's on the 07 on model, Rio's 1.5 CRDi and Yaris's 1.4 D4D lump.

I have read with interest the thread on the Corsa diesel and appreciate there are things that go wrong with modern oil-burners.

Just wondering which of these engines would be the least complex and therefore, hopefully the most reliable?

Or should we go for a petrol? I'm just a bit phobic of high-mileage petrols. Don't know if I'm being unfair to them. Been a diesel driver most of my driving career. I don't know what it is, I just love them. Love the smell of the fuel and the exhaust, love the diesel rattle. Just mad for them! Irrational, maybe, but I adore the whole diesel experience!

My other concern is car insurance. I realise my 19 yo will get hammered and there are many companies around who offer cheaper, tempting telematics quotes. But looking at Trustpilot, many of them have appalling reviews and I have grave concerns about some that hike your monthly fee if you drive "out of hours". My lad has a job and works late, so will not be able to afford hikes to an already inflated premium. MyPolicy, AutoSaint and WiseDrive (or something like that) are the three worst offenders, AFAICT from the reviews.

I think your at the stage where you should let him choose.

There could be 2 identical Clio’s. 1 could be a lemon and cost a fortune, the other could be faultless, same with any used car.

With cars it's just a lottery on how reliable it is and if it's money pit. I generally find if you service the car to manufactures specifications and on time, that helps

Sponsored Links
Back