Best Car For Newly Qualified Driver

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was told a Toyota Aygo was the cheapest for insurance. But spares may not be cheap if it goes wrong. And rear seat passengers would have to surgically remove their legs before getting in!

An insurance quote for the Aygo was £1600. As a comparison, I ran a quote for an Astra 1.3 diesel Eco model which came out about £2200 (both paid monthly). This is quite a bit bigger inside and the parts should be plentiful and cheap.

Which car do you think would give the best balance of cheap insurance/ parts and practicality?

He did say he wanted a 2010 Seat Ibiza TDi, but he's urinating where the isobars are close together....:sneaky:

Sponsored Links
The best small car of the day....the VW Up! The Nissan Micra is also worth considering.
Both great bits of kit - honestly. Buy an Aygo if you like putting clutches in - its a tiny thing.
John :)

Probably should be under the General cars forum. As for the Aygo, you could consider it's sister car the Citroen C1. When I plugged my eldest details in for this it came out at approx £1100 with a box fitted. We have a C1 its basic, but surprisingly spacious.

Just rang More Th>n to ask which cars are Group 1.

I can't tell you that.

But you insure these cars!

I don't have that information....

Sponsored Links
VW Up will have the VW small engine problems. Why not talk to an insurance broker if insurance is the driving factor behind the choice?

Perhaps you would like to Google group one cars that are affordable to a 17 year old.
I have and could only find newer models, hence my call to an insurance company.

Why not talk to an insurance broker if insurance is the driving factor behind the choice?
Yeah, spoke to Swinton. All they said was give us the cars details and I will run them through the system. I can do that on a comparison site.

Pick up any of the Parkers type car price magazines, and they'll also give you the insurance groups of the cars you're thinking about.

What's the budget.

The Hyundai i10 is a good bet as its not a boy racer car, also Hyundai are very reliable, as are most Korean/Japanese motors. You can reduce insurance cost by having a "black box" fitted & have restricted driving times.Kia picanto is similar to the i10, it has a 7 year warranty so a 5-6 year old one should still be covered & affordable.

Budget, sub £1K.
Cheapest insurance yet is on Aygo @£1600.
I don't really have a car in mind, just wondered which sub £1K cars were Gp. 1.

Sub £1k is shed money, & insurance company's aren't just worried about the car being damaged, they pay squillions out in injury claims. Modern cars are safer so cheaper to insure, so I think you would be better getting a newer slightly pricier car which would also probably be more reliable & cheaper in the long run.

Sponsored Links
Back