Best Car For Newly Qualified Driver

I’d explore telematics systems and see if they can get through a recognised advanced test. IAM is about £100 from memory and will get you 10% off normally

Sponsored Links
The £1600 quote was with telematics. Dunno about IAM, but I did a quote with and without Pass Plus and it made no difference.

Sub £1k is shed money, & insurance company's aren't just worried about the car being damaged, they pay squillions out in injury claims. Modern cars are safer so cheaper to insure, so I think you would be better getting a newer slightly pricier car which would also probably be more reliable & cheaper in the long run.

Not that I agree often with him but he's right here. I think you may find spending more on a better car may prove cheaper in the long run when you factor in insurance costs, maintenance, running, tax, depreciation.

Time to pull out the spreadsheets.

I have tried several newer cars, but it doesn't seem to make any difference to the price (14 plate vs 09 plate).

The only significant saving I have seen is comparing an old 1992 Micra a family member may be getting rid of vs a 2009 Hyundai i10. The i10 is £1600 to insure and the old Micra £2700.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Get them an auto, one thing less to worry about when they drive. Autos way more pleasurable to drive, no more messing with the gear stick.

try putting yourself or Mrs secures as a named driver on the policy. I am told this can reduce the premium. Also at £1000 you are getting into shaky territory in terms of the actual vehicle itself.

I use auto all the time now. Flappy paddles and stick shift don't get a look in.

I agree with Mitch.

I don't understand the reluctance to use automatics.

If automatics had been available from the start of motoring, do you think someone later introducing a manual - so that you can now change gear yourself - would have been thought sensible?

Sponsored Links
Back