Best DIY kitchen unit suppliers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm going to refit the kitchen, but don't simply want a prettier more modern version of the 80's chipboard cabinets that are slowly disintegrating here at the moment. Can anyone recommend a reliable kitchen unit supplier that has both good quality and ease of fitting ranges?

Sponsored Links
Still mainly chipboard cabinets, they don't disintegrate unless uncared for , cheap or poorly fitted.

Oh I dont know, these present in the house are pretty ropey with very thin carcasses and flimsy hardboard backs.
My parents had a new MFI hygena kitchen and the fronts of the drawers fell off, they were only held on with plastic. They got so sick of them being replaced under warranty that my brother fitted them with internal wood battens.

Any ideas of suppliers? Builder's merchants any good, Howdens, Travis Perkins etc??

Probably all much of a muchness, really. As foxy says, either poor fitting or (more usually) poor aftercare by the end user. Got kids? Don't get high gloss doors,,,, Got a dog?? shoot it (it'll chew any doors, corners, handles).,,,, Got a wife? ,,, divorce her, she'll only make puddings and bread in the kitchen.... Buy a microwave,, No chance of food poisoning created whilst she plays Sun Bingo all afternoon, instead of cooking nutritious meals for you hard working chap. TV dinners will supply all your nutritional intake, and the internet can satisfy almost any other needs you have (after the wife has gone) :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Oh I dont know, these present in the house are pretty ropey with very thin carcasses and flimsy hardboard backs.
My parents had a new MFI hygena kitchen and the fronts of the drawers fell off, they were only held on with plastic. They got so sick of them being replaced under warranty that my brother fitted them with internal wood battens.

Any ideas of suppliers? Builder's merchants any good, Howdens, Travis Perkins etc??
Benchmarx are ok, part of Travis Perkins, bit cheaper than Howden, though ready assembled cabinets are poorer now than those fitted in my kitchen 15 years ago. [Look like a 16 year old on job experience put them together.]

I have never bought any, but I have just looked at Wickes kitchen units: they seem to get good reviews.

Ive just been comparing B&Q's cheap (IT range) carry out kitchens with their better (Cooke & Lewis) range. The difference is quite amazing, my existing units do look like the cheap-end ones with thin carcass panels. Are B&Q likely to be the dear option?

Ive just been comparing B&Q's cheap (IT range) carry out kitchens with their better (Cooke & Lewis) range. The difference is quite amazing, my existing units do look like the cheap-end ones with thin carcass panels. Are B&Q likely to be the dear option?
YES.

Have to agree Foxy. Their entry offering ("Miami" range if memory serves me right) is probably the worst kitchen offered by any supplier. Even Vance Miller couldn't supply a worse kitchen. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

It has to be a b&Q kitchen good solid chipboard,when doing assembly use wood glue on the dowls and run a bead off addesive around rebate for back panel, makes a lovely strong unit,and remember when putting legs on to tap leg into mounting ring.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back