Best finish for Cherry veneer?

ABN

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Building some Cherry veneered furniture and was wondering what the best finish to use is.

On previous items I have been using Osmo Hard Wax Oil, left over from doing the floor, with varying degrees of success. Found it very difficult to get the required level of shine required and sinice I have now run out its time to get some new stuff. Notice that Osmo has downgraded its description from satin to satin/matt so perhaps is going to be even more difficult to get the shine.

Have tried some searching but getting conflicting and confusing results.

Requirements are
1) Enhance the grain
2) Good level of gloss, not talking car showroom level but a notch or 3 up from satin.
3) Fairly fool proof application.

Any recommendations/tips please?

Sponsored Links
Something like Colron Antique oil or Minwax Antique Oil. Both produce a soft sheen. Shinier than Satin and not quite gloss like a car showroom finish. I have used this on a few guitars I've made, although I've applied a few coats of teak oil first then several coats of the antique oil. ;) ;)

• Thanks
Reactions: ABN
Thanks for the reply so looks like oil is the way to go then.

May I ask why you use teak oil first then swap to another type rather than just using the same type throughout the project?

Sponsored Links
I saw on some veneered doors that oil or wax is not recommended, I thought it could loosen the glued-on veneer. Does anyone know?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back