Best fixings for a floating wall shelf

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to attach a 1 mtr wide x 100ml high x 150 deep solid oak shelf onto a brick wall above my fireplace.Can anyone suggest a suitable wall fixing / bracket? Thanks

Sponsored Links
depends if it comes with a bracket, if not i think you can buy them.

also what weight will it carry.

ethier as many 8mm rawl plugs as you can drill, or you can get resin rawl kits.

That's heavy, this will be more of a mantlepiece than a shelf?
Drill and resin fix several 10mm bars into the wall. Use a template for the drilling of the holes with a 'wall side' and a 'shelf side' So the holes line up correctly.

Sponsored Links
Drill and resin fix several 10mm bars into the wall. Use a template for the drilling of the holes with a 'wall side' and a 'shelf side' So the holes line up correctly.

Done this myself, tis the best way.

well actually they call it a beam rather than a shelf .Some are solid others are hollowed out to make them lighter

edit I just found this one which appear so come with fixings as standard.Good price i think too although it is sold "green" .Now i am not too sure whether that will cause problems ie warping and coming adrift fro the back wall .I know it will develop splits along the grain but that would add to the character.
As for the fitting I have never heard of those resin rawl .Not too sure how they work either,Does one buy rods which are fitted at both ends to the wall and beam via pre drilled holes using the resin to form a tight bond? How long does it take to set? Would i have to hold the beam in place somehow till it sets?
http://www.handmadewoodenboxes.co.uk/handmade-furniture/oak-beam-mantle.html

Resin Rawl plugs are basically special Rawlplugs that you glue into the wall, let them dry and fix as normal.

A standard length of 10mm threaded bar would be ok, just cut into shorter lengths. Couple of quid from a builders mercants/DIY shed.

Yes that resin or similar.

If this is designed for the beam you have in mind then why not use that?

If this is designed for the beam you have in mind then why not use that?

not quite as its a different company .They looked a relatively simple way of attaching the beam to a wall although there is no visible thread which I kind of thought were meant to help in maintaining the attachment

OIf you use that bracket you will need a recess in teh back of the beam to clear the plate otherwise the beam won't sit back flush to the wall.

Plain round black bar will also do for the studs as the resin will stick to that like you know what.

Have a look at this and the next two photos, they are the ones I usually post when this question comes up every month or so.

J

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back