Best machine for stripping Garage floor?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As per title, new build(ish) double garage floor has a few layers of paint build up over the several years it has been down.

Overall it is in good condition, with a few small (but long) surface cracks - nothing I am too worried about. I am also not after 'perfection' only that the 2 part epoxy paint (thick layer) onto the primed surface does not lift.

Local hire place has a couple of choices of machine for me. I have ruled out scrabber machines as the surface is already pretty smooth & even.

1) Upright diamond floor grinder (CON17) 1 DAY = £75.60 2 days or W/E = £94.50
transformer to suit (TRA78) 1 day =£12.00 2 days or W/E £15.00. + £30.00 per 1/2mm wear charge

2) Twin head floor grinder (CON05) (not diamond) uses 6 x carbon block, 1 day = £63.00 2days = £78.75 transformer to suit (TRA76) 1 day = £24.00 2 or W/E £30.00. grinding blocks are £4.00 ea

WITH...

3) Dust extraction unit (CUT75) 1 day = £68.40 2 days or W/E = £85.50

Now, he warned that some of these machines don't work at domestic properties due to the electrical load. He wasn't willing to explain how/what/where I could confirm this. The garage is several M from the house - up to 10m from end point of garage, though the garage itself does have it's own supply to MCB. I also had my electric upgrade the 32A breaker from 'B' to 'C' as my 2.1kw pressure washer tripped it on start up.

Any thoughts/advise on the machines?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll buy one and give it a ago. With kids & jobs my time is very limited to try and get this project all done over a weekend (emptying garage etc...) so as a plan B, any thoughts on the machines?

Thanks again woody!

TBH, I'd be more inclined to hire one of those timber floorboard Sanders if the blowlamp idea is too much work.

Sponsored Links
some of these machines don't work at domestic properties due to the electrical load. He wasn't willing to explain how/what/where

Just plucking the first result from Google, THIS machine needs a 415v 3 phase socket, which looks like this...

888-103-NS.jpg

Your house electrical supply cannot power it.

transformer to suit (TRA76)

And that particular transformer is a 7kVA transformer, which is huge, which you also won't have the right socket for.

It is not like the little yellow one that builders use which has a normal 13A plug on the end. (they're 3kVA BTW)

Last edited:
I dont think a grinder is the solution, the paint may just clog the abrasive and will get soft as friction builds.

Thanks very much guys, grateful for the advice

Ill ring around some more hire shops tomorrow, the above was only from my local. I will also ask it getting gummed up, however 80% of the paint is pretty thin & flakey - I was hoping it would get chewed & rubbed off as it ground the concrete.

The below are 110v with a 2200w output? I have a pressure washer rated at that, which runs no issues?
https://www.speedyservices.com/18_0300-h-floor-grinder-110v

Have you tried pressure washing it since you already have one?

You could shot blast it or use paint stripper or use a floor buffer with a mesh sanding pad or just use a floor scraper and lots of time or a wire brush on an angle grinder.

If you grind it may be better off buying your own tooling as it will be cheaper then the wear cost from the hire place, you can get machines which take a single 10" disk.
You can do this wet so you don't need dust extraction, if you have a wet vac it will make clean up easier.

Thanks for the reply - i will give it a go with my pressure washer! With time being the main enemy, it is wanting to get it done in a morning/day really!

Another hire place does a petrol powered rotary floor grinder for the same price as an electric one, seems a safe bet to give that a go! I am currently finishing off a garden path project, before I move onto this in a few weeks but I will hopefully report back nearer the time! :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back