Best method to fit larger letterplate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been asked by wifey to fit a new letter plate / tidy on the front door.

The door in an old (1920s) solid wood and the existing rectangular hole needs enlarging.

What is the best method to do so?

Sure, I can butcher it, and my sins will be hidden from everyone apart from the postie, however, I welcome all advice from skilled carpenters and joiners, or semi skilled diy wood butchers

Sponsored Links
1/2in plunge router, guide bush, 60mm straight cutter, home made 12mm plywood jig. May require a longer cutter if the door has raised bolection mouldings

And if I had a drill, jigsaw and sharp chisels in case the jigsaw blade wanders - acceptable?

Instead of a router, I use a 75mm circular saw and plunge cut halfway from both sides, and then finish the corners with a hand saw (a Japanese one).

Mark both sides out so that the cuts align.

This job would seem to be ideal for jigsaws, but you need to be very careful with them as the blade wander tends to be greater than the distance between the opening edge and the amount of cover from the plate surround!

I recall my first opening on my first front door at home which was done with the limited tools I had at the time. Yes it was covered, but I still get regular nightmares and wake up in a sweat from what I saw when uncovered years later.

Sponsored Links
I've been asked by wifey to fit a new letter plate / tidy on the front door.

The door in an old (1920s) solid wood and the existing rectangular hole needs enlarging.

What is the best method to do so?

Sure, I can butcher it, and my sins will be hidden from everyone apart from the postie, however, I welcome all advice from skilled carpenters and joiners, or semi skilled diy wood butchers
I should have thought the method would depend on how much larger the hole needed to be and if it had to remain equidistant, the latter dependant on how fussy wifey is.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back