Best Of A Bad Job?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There is a metre-high lamp post to move at my Ma's. The base plate has been removed and the flag lifted to reveal 1 milli T&E in 20mm PVC conduit.

It runs horizontally around 800 deep, then there is an elbow and it comes up vertically underneath the base plate.

Now, I realise T&E in PVC conduit is a bum job but the whole patio cannot be lifted to replace the cable.

1 milli as a fishwire to drag in a replacement cable (maybe NYY-J) might work but TBH I don't think it would drag through in a million years.

The alternative could be a subterranean joint. No, not having a crafty smoke in the cellar....

The flags are laid on a thick bed of sand and the ground generally is very well-drained.
Diverting the existing conduit into an IP68 Wiska box (with a threaded 20mm input) via a male adapter, then coming out with a suitably toughened cable via a stuffing gland to the new position is an option. The box would be filled with magic gel.

The connections would be made off with Wago connectors.

The box would be made accessible.

Whaddya think guys?

Sponsored Links
You've got what you've got. If it really is 800mm deep and below flagstones then I don't see it being a big concern at the moment - crack on !

Yes and no!

It will be set into the bed of sand on which the flag is laid, with the lid level with the top of the sand.

The flag is to be loose-laid so access will be possible.

So the body of the box will be set into sand but the lid will not be covered, except by a flagstone.

Sponsored Links
You'll probably get away with gel then, if it was going deeper underground I'd say use an epoxy resin joint.

Thanks 123. That's what I thought, I just wondered if anyone would do any different.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back