Best option for outdoor fused isolator?

Why do we earth anything at all then?
As a general question, you know answer as well as I do. However, when there are two layers of insulation between live conductors and touchable matter (as in metal encased Class II items), we do not necessarily earth that metal (indeed, as we know, many a Class I item comes with instructions that one "MUST NOT" earth it).
I think a general principle of most safety standards is that it is simply not considered possible/reasonable to protect "idiots with tools".
Maybe that's realistic, but I was responding to your comment about what was "reasonably foreseeable", and I'm quite sure that it is very much "reasonably foreseeable" that some silly people will fiddle in CUs in ways which they shouldn't. As you go on to agree ...
I do see your point though that the temptation to "mess around" in a partially-live CU is much greater than in most other domestic electrical situations and the risk to people doing that is increased by the use of metal enclosures. ...
Exactly my point
Whether that outweighs the benefits in terms of better containing thermal events I could not say....
One of the many (in my opinion) stupidities of the regulation, that it does not require any "containment of thermal events". Provided only that what little material is left is deemed to be 'non-combustible', you can have as many ~12mm diameter holes as you like in the front, bottom and sides of a metal domestic CU!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
thanks all. @ericmark that is a nice option. I could try that.
I've retraced the cable and I think I might know where it's being spliced in - the storage space under the stairs is a possibility.
Seeing as it's SWAMBO's storage space I need caving gear to get in there and search. Pretty sure the ast sparky has not emerged either....

If I do find it I will put an isolator in at that point. easier.

C

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back