Best option for stopping vandal scratching my car

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had 5 deep scratches made to my car of late in the last 2 weeks. It is happening to others parked on the road too. I have moved my car to other spots but it doesn't make any difference. I think it's kids.

Anyway, I need to get something that will capture via photo/video of anyone with night vision doing this, as well as being a good deterrent. I can't afford anything expensive.

Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Without a price range the answer is impossible. What is "expensive" to you?
You could get a small DVR and covert camera for about £120.00 and fit yourself, but there would be no deterrent. The vandals would also have to be in range.right side of the car to be picked up.
Covert recording is also only to be used for short periods for specific detection not all the time either.
Can you mount a camera at first floor level, together with a half decent DVR?
This would be a visual deterrent and record at all times. Also bearing in mind it should not intrude on others property or windows.

You need to set a budget and how you want to record, have alerts. Maybe have "screen shots" sent to a mobile device.
There is no cheap, reliable option. You have to consider light levels also.

I can't guarantee parking my car outside my house as there are so many others sharing. I was thinking up to around £60 as you can get wide angle CCTV cameras with night vision on Ebay for just under £30.

How would a £30.00 camera record anything? How could a fixed lens be anything but a general view. You can have a 12mm lens being effective at 30mtrs but with no facial collations. Another would but you would miss other activity near the car. How would you adjust the camera and refocus if you parked on different sides of the road and in differing lighting conditions.
What you are needing and what you can afford are two totally different things.

This will give you an idea of camera angles/views. But not the effect of lighting/ambient lighting/supplemental lighting.
http://www.sweeting.org/mark/lenses/cctv.php
Then you need to record this, or are you going to sit by a monitor (You will need one of those and or a switcher if more than one camera). You will see you have already run out of your budget constraints.

Sponsored Links
The £30 cameras have their own hard disk recording on a memory card. I will give up then :(

I would not waste any money, without forewarning about the cameras you may be breaking the law and only producing inadmissible evidence.

I had a similar scenario once when someone used to rip the wipers of cars when they were parked at night. I decided I would sort it my own way so I hid opposite my wifes car in combats and stayed on 'sentry duty' in a bush on the street. Sure enough a local idiot who used to stay for lockins in the local pub turned up about 2am and grabbed the wipers on my wifes car...he was promptly grabbed by me and frogmarched to his home where I called the police who duly arrived.

He was taken to the cells for the night and was released after promising never to do it again and pay for the damage.

He actually stuck to neither condition and apart from not offering any money I was gobsmacked to see it had happened again.

This time I didn't bother with the police quaint as they are they are naive and out of touch with modern life so I simply buttonholed him in the village and told him quite simply if it ever happened again I was not going to bother with the police as that was a soft option. I simply told him I would get him again one night in my combats and beat the crap out of him but with no witnesses would simply claim it was self defence and he had attacked me.....

The cars were never touched again... ;)

It's actually causing me no end of stress but as it's kids (happening early evening around 6-9 pm). Police said I can't touch them, not even to hold them until they get there.

I know the kind of camera you are mentioning, they are fine for being fitted above a door or similar but not for the specifics you are looking for. You could try one but are you going to get up a ladder and refocus and or move it every night? And if you do, will the vandals not notice and do something about it?
As I mentioned you are going to need more than a £30.00 camera for this situation. Also if anything happens they will just damage and or steal the camera as it will have to be fairly accessible. A more expensive camera well thought out, maybe two with an internal recording device is the better solution.
Another idea is to approach your local Police station and with evidence of the damage and previous CAD numbers you may qualify for a Police funded temporary camera system. This is of course down to the discretion of the force/CPO. But well worth a try if the incidents are as rife as you say.

It's actually causing me no end of stress but as it's kids (happening early evening around 6-9 pm). Police said I can't touch them, not even to hold them until they get there. Do you think a dummy camera would be better than nothing ?

The police are lying. You have every right to make a citizens arrest..

England and Wales

A citizen's arrest is permitted to be made on any person under section 24A of the Police and Criminal Evidence Act 1984 for an indictable offence, including either way offences (in this section referred to simply as "an offence"), but excluding certain specific ones listed below. It is thus permissible for any person to arrest:

Anyone who is in the act of committing an offence, or whom the arrestor has reasonable grounds for suspecting to be in the act of committing an offence, or
Where an offence has been committed, anyone who is guilty of that offence or whom the arrestor has reasonable grounds for suspecting to be guilty of it

In order for the arrest to be lawful, the following two conditions must also be satisfied:

It appears to the person making the arrest that it is not reasonably practicable for a constable to make the arrest instead
The arrestor has reasonable grounds for believing that the arrest is necessary to prevent one of the following:
The person causing physical injury to himself or others
The person suffering physical injury
The person causing loss of or damage to property
The person absconding before a constable can assume responsibility for him

Use of the second power above is rather risky, since it relies upon the person carrying out the arrest knowing that an offence has been committed, of which in itself needs to be indictable or either way offence. The Act therefore gives a constable additional powers under section 24 to arrest the following:

Anyone who is (without doubt) about to commit an offence, or whom the constable has reasonable grounds for suspecting to be about to commit an offence
Anyone whom the constable has reasonable grounds for suspecting to be guilty of an offence which is merely suspected to have taken place

N.B. "Any person" powers can be used to arrest before an offence occurs as long as the offence in question falls within the Criminal Attempts Act 1981. This act creates the offence of an attempted offence, as long as the offence being attempted is an indictable one. For this to apply, the offence must actually be in the process of being attempted - preparatory steps are not sufficient. For example, putting gloves on to smash a car window would not suffice, but the throwing of a brick at the window would.

A constable's arrest power is not limited to indictable offences, and conditions different from the above apply.

end of lesson

I once wrestled with a car thief for 40 minutes on the ground to make a citizens arrest until the police arrived...I did not get told off I was offered a bravery award. I also did the same another time when someone ran out of a video shop with a rucksack full of dvds.

The problem I suppose could be if these kids are under 10 years old..ie below the age of criminal responsibility.

It's actually causing me no end of stress but as it's kids (happening early evening around 6-9 pm). Police said I can't touch them, not even to hold them until they get there. Do you think a dummy camera would be better than nothing ?

And you're happy with that statement?
An alternative scenario. You come across some kid beating up an old dear, do you:
A: Jump in, stop him as quickly as possible and 'detain' the scumbag
or
B: stand idly by a wait for the lazy Police?

Just because they are Police doesn't mean they ALL know the Law and your rights as a civilian.

No, the Police are covering your and their backs. Any "citizens arrest" has to be done with minimum force, which is very unlikely. Then you will be charged with assault or worse. Then adding in a few of the offenders friends if they are about and you can be cited for instigating a riot.

It is not simply worth making a citizens arrest, it is far better to gather evidence. In this instance.

I would not waste any money, without forewarning about the cameras you may be breaking the law and only producing inadmissible evidence.
Nonsense.

Where can the camera be? on public land or does it have to be on your own private land..?
Trick question time???
Why would you want to be a naughty boy and mount camera's in area/proprty you do not own?

Camera's installed in domestic property can be aimed where ever you like.
Blonde with the big chest across the road's bedroom window? no problem.
However, if she twigs on and complains then you may be asked to 'adjust them. But for that it is likely to come under harassment.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back