Best option for wiring a bathroom cabinet w/shaver plug

Sponsored Links
Shavers must to BS61558-2-5 to be in zone 2. I suppose it depends where the socket is.
(Not sure if the any part within zone would apply.)

Luminaires (lights) are allowed but switches are not so that might take care of the lighting.

However, the equipment must be stated as suitable for zone 2 by the manufacturer.

I wouldn't say that installing an appliance counted as an alteration to the circuit.

Hmm. So assuming a more... reliable... mirror cabinet is installed with a BS rated shaver plug and rated for zone 2, and assuming the installers of the previous cabinet notified for the original work, perhaps putting a new one in isn't a problem?

That's a lot of assumptions though eh!

Sponsored Links
:LOL: I haven't. What are the chances of that conforming to British Standards, I wonder...
That's the problem.

The answer is "not high enough to make it worth taking a chance". And the whole CE thing applies, not just BS.

I am not tarring all Chinese manufacturers with the same brush, but the fact is there are many who play fast and loose with standards compliance, who lie about compliance, who fraudulently use CE marks etc.

It is, sadly, endemic, or endemic enough, to make it only sensible to eschew buying products directly from them. Yes, I know that an awful lot of what you buy these days is made in China, but there is a significant difference between buying from a seller who is within the jurisdiction of UK/EU laws and regulations, and is legally bound to only sell safe and compliant products, and buying from someone who is not only outwith all those legal requirements but is also in a country where respect for foreign rights and responsibilities and regulations is culturally almost absent.

FYI - although in practice you would never be at risk of any sanctions, technically if you were to buy that, and it did not conform to the necessary standards, you would have broken the law, for you would be the one who had imported it into the UK.

That's the problem.

The answer is "not high enough to make it worth taking a chance". And the whole CE thing applies, not just BS.

I am not tarring all Chinese manufacturers with the same brush, but the fact is there are many who play fast and loose with standards compliance, who lie about compliance, who fraudulently use CE marks etc.

It is, sadly, endemic, or endemic enough, to make it only sensible to eschew buying products directly from them. Yes, I know that an awful lot of what you buy these days is made in China, but there is a significant difference between buying from a seller who is within the jurisdiction of UK/EU laws and regulations, and is legally bound to only sell safe and compliant products, and buying from someone who is not only outwith all those legal requirements but is also in a country where respect for foreign rights and responsibilities and regulations is culturally almost absent.

FYI - although in practice you would never be at risk of any sanctions, technically if you were to buy that, and it did not conform to the necessary standards, you would have broken the law, for you would be the one who had imported it into the UK.

Yeah. FWIW according to the listing the item was dispatched from the UK so technically pre-imported. But anyway not worth the risk of the quality being shoddy. I know exactly what you mean with regard to the difference between where it's made and how it's made!
We've gone for one that's IP44 rated and suitable for use in zone 2 areas anyway, with the socket inside the cabinet.

Yeah. FWIW according to the listing the item was dispatched from the UK
Not what I understood this to mean:

upload_2018-2-19_17-59-5.png

I find it very hard to believe that this is going to be despatched from anywhere other than the UK (captured a few minutes ago) ...

upload_2018-2-19_18-27-52.png

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back