best paint for going over internal gloss

I know exactly where your coming from :) Its took me a while to drag myself from Oil to water based especially as im a Dinosaur !!

Fair call, there is a degree of inertia on my behalf, nevertheless my experience of WB has been limited to Eico which is 10% sheen and Johnstone's eggshell which is 20/30%(?) sheen. Both have however been less durable than OB.

Sponsored Links
Bedec? Closest I’ve found to OB, no fumes, no yellow and a very tough finish. I initially bought floetrol to use with it but it outperformed it so just use it on its own now. It’s really impressive.

I like Bedec for my ( now limited ) work @ home . Thanks opps for lots of useful info in this forum.(y)

I've just had to sort several window sills painted with water-based paint. They weren't prepped at all, just straight on to gloss, started to sand and it started to shell off. several oil based layers later and it was silky smooth with a nice bit of shiny to finish. personally not a fan of WB paints, they have a place and they do stay whiter longer but aren't as hard wearing as OB paints. Heat and darkness will accelerate OB paints yellowing just look at the colour of some skirting behind a set of drawers.

Sponsored Links
They don’t stay whiter for longer...they stay white full stop. Water based is meant to harden with age and, as I mentioned, Bedec is very hard due to its enamel. While I agree that it’s still not there as far as ultimate flow and ease of OB it is 80% of the way but with so many more benefits such as non yellowing, no smell, fast drying so less dust gets stuck.

They don’t stay whiter for longer...they stay white full stop. Water based is meant to harden with age and, as I mentioned, Bedec is very hard due to its enamel. While I agree that it’s still not there as far as ultimate flow and ease of OB it is 80% of the way but with so many more benefits such as non yellowing, no smell, fast drying so less dust gets stuck.

"Water based is meant to harden with age"

Oil based paint easily passes the fingernail scratch test after a month. It cures much, much more slowly than WB. My GF applied Dulux trade WB eggshell over the yellowed DT OB eggshell about 3 years ago. I can still scratch it off with my fingernails.

Granted, she didn't sand it to key it but it is far less durable. Three years later it becomes soft when the shower is running and the extractor is turned off.

I haven't tried the paint that you recommend, it may well be a cut above the rest.

Last week, I had to help a cabinet maker fit the units that I had painted in DT OB eggshell. Whilst on site, he asked me to hit the skirting/architraves in the rest of the room. He handed me a tin of Leyland WB eggshell. If I dragged the brush back more than 12 inches, in an attempt to maintain uniform tramlines, the paint started to become gloopy and drag.

It looked pretty awful. I was embarrassed. Had it been my job I would not have charged the client. I have no idea what it looked like when dry, probably not as bad as I feared.

I can paint a sheet of 8' by 4' and have constant (read: parallel) tramlines running along the longest length if I use OB. I do not believe that is possible using WB only.

Today I went back to a flat I painted four years ago with crown oil based trade satinwood. It's still pristine white, not a sign of yellowing anywhere.

I did get tramlines with Leyland trade but much less so with the Bedec in fact if you add 10% water, role it on and then lay off with a good brush there are almost no lines whatsoever.
I had the carpet fitters round on Saturday. My heart sank when I saw them whack my skirting boards with their contraptions. There was evidence left behind with the typical grey metallic scuffs but they just scrubbed off. One area had scuffed where they were really careless but a chipped had been taken out of the wood itself.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back