Best paint for pine units

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As I mentioned in another thread - we are re-doing our kitchen and the pine units are to be painted. Any suggestions for the best paint to use please?

Sponsored Links
If you mean the pine kitchen doors then acid catalyst paint will be the most durable BUT it is spray only and rather toxic, touch dry in minutes however.

It is also expensive to buy and you will need to hire the correct equipment.

Alternatively you can hand paint using oil based paints but the drying time is way longer (weeks till fully cured).

Yeah but its going to be touch dry and the kitchen back in full use in 6-8 hours after painting, the coating will just be a little fragile until its fully cured

There is an element of personal choice as to the finish you require but personally and probably the best paint for the job is eggshell. Whether you want to use oil based or water based is up to you to read the pro's and cons. You will also need a good primer, i'd suggest a primer/sealer to prevent any bleed from stains etc and this will also obliterate and adhere well to any previous finish that may have been applied to the units, think i'd use coverstain but have a look at the whole zinsser range

Sponsored Links
Yeah but its going to be touch dry and the kitchen back in full use in 6-8 hours after painting, the coating will just be a little fragile until its fully cured

If you do go for oil based then add some terebene to the paint to speed up the drying (oxidising) process.

I am guessing that the doors have the standard (non butt) hinges. These will need to be removed so that you can paint the whole internal face of the doors. If you number them with felt pen and the corresponding holes in the doors it will make life easier when you rehang the doors.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back