Best paint?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there a BEST paint for metal pipework, which is fully open to the elements, and goes from cold temperatures of around zero ° C to around 150 ° C?

We have some pipework which all the paint is flaking off, so I guess we need to scrap as much paint off as possible, then treat it with some undercoat? Then paint it with the final product?

Any advice would be great.

Thanks a lot

Sponsored Links
Questions not answers but could do with knowing why are you painting it, aesthetics, corrosion protection, bit of both? Surface prep (substaight condition) is key to any form of paint working, but some are more tollerant of poor prep, which is proberbly where you want to start. Not that im saying your prep is worse than others, but your not about to shotblast it back to bright steel, i presume.

Daniel

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I am wanting to paint it as the current paint is starting to flake off, a lot! So it looks very poor aesthetically. But we also want to protect the pipe work to give as long life as possible. It is carrying ammonia gas/liquid, although this shouldn't have any relevance on it, as it is steel pipe, welded and certified.

Surface prep: It would be practical to shot blast it, although it would be great to. What type of surface prep can we do?
I'm not sure what the surface prep was originally good due to the poor state of the paint now.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Bedec Barn paint is pretty good on exteriors, i havn't used it specifically on pipe work but i'm sure they'll have something in the range (if not barn paint itself). The answer to your question depends if you want to get into industrial type coatings, you describe a massive temperature range which i cant see your ordinary weathershields etc standing up to, so you may have no choice. There is someone on here thats pretty good on the industrial stuff but i can't remember who it is, he may well be a long later. Unfortunately your average dec doesn't know a lot about these types of paint as it tends to be a trade within a trade. Check bedec though i'm just not sure about the temperatures

Thanks for the replies.

I imagine an industrial type paint will be needed, but don't know where to find it really?

I will check out the Bedec stuff, and see what they have to offer.

The pipework has ammonia gas running through it, up to a cooling tower.

Thanks

I would speak to Leighs Paints as well, or Beckers, or simular.
- They should be able to advise on both product and process and are very good.
- We use a epoxy aluminum with a two part polyethylene topcoat on our narrowboat.

Daniel

You might want to have a look at OWATROL RA-85.

I haven't used it myself but looked into it after it was mentioned on this forum a while back. (Credit to TheDec.) It sounds suitable for the job you require of it but the pipes will probably need to be cool before applying it - double check the link and pdf to see.

If you are uncertain, you can contact Owatrol to enquire via their site. I did that and was emailed by the MD within 24 hours :eek: who was very helpful. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back