best practice for D/L install. to replace 2-wy lighting?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Given a 2-way kit circ. for 1no pendant, what is best method of replacing with 6no SELV D/L's?
Pse take me thro total install. from breaking into circ. to replacing in-situ switches.

Sponsored Links
No- if you haven't got a clue, maybe you shouldn't be doing the work.

Lighting isn't difficult, use the DIYnot Wiki for circuit reference.

Switch replacement will be like for like and then terminate the transformer on to the existing light's LNE and then extend off from the xformer to the DL's.

What wattage lamps are you fitting? This will determine whether you fit one transformer or 6. Best way is to fit a joint box in place of the ceiling rose, but in the ceiling void, copying the exact wiring. Make sure it is accessible (usually through a downlighter hole). If you have 50w lamps and are using 6 transformers, replace the 2 pendant wires with twin and earth cable and daisy chain the cable to each hole. Here fit your transformer and wire in the downlights. Choose transformers that you can wire directly into rather than using joint boxes.

Thanks for replying and the info. I do have a bit more knowledge than i let on but i'm interested in what you guys do.
The lamps will be either 20w or 50w(Halogen).

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back