Best Readable Tape Measure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am not sure why I appear not to be able to take measurements off tape measures correctly. (It is not an eye sight thing!). Is it the way that certain makes models are laid out?

Ok, I agree it is myself which is largely to blame. Maybe I am a bit dyslexic? I often treble read a reading, but it is often wrong. To be honest it seems more to be a problem with the metric interpretation.

I agree I need both metric and imperial on a measuring tape, but in my lifetime I have seen some pretty awful laid out units of measurement on display.

I can't be the only one out there who experiences this problem. So please, maybe some constructive replies.

Which make/model do members recommend? Please no suggestions of a digital model.

Thanks
Alan

Sponsored Links
I know exactly what you mean, there are certain tapes that are laid out differently, although still correct they arent what your used too and you cant get you head around them.

As for digitals i had a bosch dmb5 years ago and never really got on with that either, was always unsure of the measurement ad forever double checking with an ordinary tape which defeated the object

I have a bahco tape measure.

It has a matt silver blade rather than the normal shiny yellow, and it also has the measurements printed on both the front and back of the blade.

I find it easier to read than normal tape measures.

I have similar issues but I find my Fatmax 5M pretty good. I'm terrible at remembering numbers even for 5 seconds. I have to repeat it in my head a good few times!

Sponsored Links
Was years before someone pointed out the premarked dots long tape measures to me. Quite a revelation.

I wonder how accurate that is?

Very accurate- do you think festool would put their name on anything substandard?

It even has a pin for drawing circles with a pencil- not a feature that I have ever used

Another downside is that the viewing window can crack if dropped from high up- it will still work though

ok so someone suggest a tape for external use. mine get wet and muddy (they get cleaned!) but they never last that long and the metal ones such as the stanley ones seem to give up the ghost quite quickly. I normally use a longer tape ie 10m due to the nature of the work.

The bahco one I have has a stainless steel blade, so it's good for use outside in the rain.

You don't need this anyway.. just bend the tape into the corner. As for Stanleys, i use the long ones too and get through them like nobody's business. They rust in no time even if you keep wiping them down. Didn't the old ones last longer?

I have one similar to Festool tape, I prefer the white backing instead of the yellow background, I find it easier to read and in bad daylight :!:

You don't need this anyway.. just bend the tape into the corner. As for Stanleys, i use the long ones too and get through them like nobody's business. They rust in no time even if you keep wiping them down. Didn't the old ones last longer?

i thought they did and the numbers seem to wear off alarmingly quickly

Using em outdoors all the time i don't even get to the number wear stage normally before it's rusted to uselssness.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back