best router for doing kitchen worktops?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there i am just starting to get into fitting worktops and i am looking for a router that will give me a long life and is at a mid price range.
So far i am stuck between the
Bosch gof 2000ce about £300
metabo OFE1812 240V about £300
Makita 3612 about £260
I know from the bosch and metabo that they are great machines that have a 3 year warranty which apealsto me.
I want the smoothest machine on startup and one that i can grow into.
ANy help from experianced fitters would be greatly appreciated.
Regards
Lee

Sponsored Links
I would say that they are more top range than middle. Any of those will give a good professional finish, with routers in that price bracket the only real limitation will be with the skill of the user.

Matika 3216 routers go on e-bay at 140 brand new, i suggest you buy it on e-bay, save you 50%

pretty much indistructable

The Metabo is actually made by Felisatti and is very similar to the now dropped Trend T9. I don't regard it as a brilliant router. The Bosch is like its predecessor, very tall and slightly tippy, although it is probably the quietest big router made. I am curious why you haven't included the deWalt DW625 (and it's clones from trend and CMT) in the line up and also why there's no sign of the Festool/Mafell 2000 watt routers. The DWs are very popular in the trade (I use a DW and an older Elu myself) although Festools are being seen increasingly as they are well made if pricey (the Mafell LO65e is made in the same factory but has a different base)

Scrit

Sponsored Links
Hi there thanks for all your answers, i guess i did not go for the Dewalt was because that the bosch and metabo offer a 3 year warranty.
I guess i want something that will last the time, i did go and hold the trend and it just felt so bulky and a little awakard to hold.
The Makita felt well made but i am going to see what the dewalt and bosch are like in the next couple of days.
I guess i have always been put of by dewalt becasue if there are other companies offering 3 year warranties then why dont they all do it?
My budget is around the £300 mark and i have read that a minium of an 1800w motor is needed for worktops.
Apart from that i am just trying to take it all in and get as much info as possible before purchasing one so all advise and recomendations are greatly welcome..
May i ask why you use an Elu and Dewalt?
Thanks for your time chaps.
[/quote]

I've just got a Festool TS55 and a RO150. I wish I'd bought Festool 20 years ago. The routers are well worth a look, there are some features which make life much easier.

My mates got the Makita you mention in your first post. He's fitted loads of kitchens with it, plus made loads of doors etc, still going strong and had it for like ten years or something.

homesolutions said:
I guess I have always been put of by dewalt because if there are other companies offering 3 year warranties then why dont they all do it?.....
.....May I ask why you use an Elu and Dewalt?
Frankly, do they need to (offer a 3 year warranty)? The Sale of Goods Act (or whatever the current follow on from that lgislation is called) was always worth more than a warranty; useless piece of paper IMHO. None of these machines are DIY jobbies - they are all trade rated which means that you should expect the brushes and bearings to last 1000 hours or more (DIY tools are rated at under 100 hours). Why Elu/DW? I've used Elu stuff since the late 1970s and it was always quite well thought-out, reasonably priced stuff. My older Elu is a MOF177e (about 10 years old) is almost identical to the deWalt deWalt DW625 (now 6 years old), except for the colour and a few minor details because DW took over Elu. Other than brushes and collets (consumables which are not covered by warranty) and one switch (dust clogged that and killed it, so again no warranty) neither have had any repair work done. So they're quite reliable. The same was true for an even older MOF177e I had which got nicked, aged 20 and still in regular use. To my mind one of the major bonuses of the deWalts is the ready availability of spares and (3rd party) accessories from firms such as Trend, that and the large number of repair agents there are (try getting an 8mm Makita collet or guide bush on a Saturday morning and you'll know what I mean). I've had Bosch, Ryobi, Makita and Porter-Cable heavy routers and I still prefer the feel of the DW. I especially like the depth stop arrangement.

Would I change? Yes. I'll possibly go for either the Mafell or Festool when I next replace a router - I've been impressed by the sheer build quality and reliability of the Mafell and Festool stuff I've bought to date and on that basis I feel it is worthwhile considering their stuff, although whether I'm prepared to shell out and extra 50% over the price of a DW is another thing! And if I did that I'd still keep a DW in the van as the reserve.

homesolutions said:
My budget is around the £300 mark and I have read that a minimum of an 1800w motor is needed for worktops.
You certainly do need the extra power of a bigger router. Worktops are tough on portable routers and 1200 to 1400 watt routers can struggle (tried them, too, useless). The bigger routers with electronic control just power through.

Scrit

oilman said:
I've just got a Festool TS55 and a RO150. I wish I'd bought Festool 20 years ago. The routers are well worth a look, there are some features which make life much easier.
You'd have had fun - Festool weren't doing the plunge saws back then were they? ;) The Rotex has been a favourite in the garage trade for years, although for finishing work I much prefer the Festool ET-type ROSs (have two of thenm - bloody brilliant and better dust extraction than the Bosch they replaced)

Scrit

Many thanks for all your advice i have now purchased the Festool 2000 E/1 Plus GB. It was over budget but all reports just show these machines to be one of the best so lots of fun ahead!
Once again many thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back